The Red Envelope || Newt Scamander

A/N: An entry for "Winter Festival At Hogwarts", featuring adorable Newt Scamander and OC. Feel free to request a oneshot!

Happy reading! hope you enjoy it xx

------------------ 

The first thing Newt Scamander notices as he steps out onto the balcony of the Owlery is that the sky is filled with red spherical lanterns, floating in the sky and bathing the entire castle in warmth. Chinese New Year has to be one of his favourite festivals, with the amazing platters of dumplings, baos and all sorts of unique flavours that had been so foreign on his tongue the first time he tasted them and the multitude of Chinese ghost dancers parading around the hallways. Red dragon spirits are floating in the sky, leaving red traces in their wake as fireworks shoot up from the main courtyard, exploding in colourful yellow and red sparks.

"I knew I'd find you here."

Newt swivels around only to be see a red envelope thrust in his face. "Sage."
"Kung Chee Fat Choy," the Slytherin smirks, "here's yours."
"Thank you." Newt takes a hold of the envelope, turning it in his fingers like it might break at any given moment.

Sage stifles a laugh, "you have no clue what it is, do you?"
Embarrassed, the Hufflepuff shakes his head. She plops down beside him, "it's kind of like a tradition. A gift that elders give to children during New Year. Open it."

Newt does after some hesitation, prying the edge open. Gold dust trickles through and swirls into the air. He opens his palm as the dust transforms into a tiny mouse, sniffing up at him and causing him to chuckle. The mouse then dissolves and in its place are a few galleons. A mixture of amusement and surprise shines through Newt's eyes as he looks at the asian girl, who shrugs.

"It's the year of the Rat." She explains, "next year is the Ox."
"What do they represent?"
"Well, it's based on a legend of a race held by one of the Chinese Emperors. There were twelve animals that represent the twelve cycles, and the race determined who would come first."
Sage holds out her hand to a glowing red cricket, "they say the crickets are our ancestors watching over us. That's why we honour them." It landed in her palm, croaked in greeting and flew away with a trail of gold dust in its wake. Almost like fairies.

"Thank you." Newt murmurs. "You didn't have to."
"Of course I did." Sage huffs, bumping their shoulders together, "you're my friend."
"It's really beautiful." Newt can't tear his eyes away from the glowing landscape, and he reaches out to pat one of the flying dragon spirits as they glide by. The creature nuzzles into his palm, "we should celebrate this more often."
"We should." Sage's lips tilt into a smile, so unlike her usual smirk. Newt can't help but glance over every now and then, loving the way the light cradles her features as they both gaze up at the multitude of gold and red glitters over the night sky.

A voice suddenly jerks them back to reality.

"Newt," Theseus says, "do I want to know why you and Sage are out after curfew again?"