2.25

The storm continues to get worse, as we make our way through the Bayou. I stop when we find a shed. I feed Jolie, as the rest of the pack circle the perimeter. Eventually I head outside to find Mary under the awning. She is making a bundle of herbs.

"How's that little one?" Mary questions.

"Sleeping right through the storm." I sigh anxiously. "Mary, I appreciate you coming, but you should know what you're going up against."

Mary gives me a look. "An ancient witch wants to steal my granddaughter?" She shakes her head. "Not on my watch." She holds up the bundle of herbs she's making. "I brought you something that might come in handy. In my youth, wolves and witches had a peace." She holds a lighter in her free hand. "A Voodoo queen I knew showed me how to use herbs to see if magic was afoot. Combine Solomon seal and snapdragon and burn 'em." She takes the lighter and lights the bundle of dried herbs and flowers on fire before setting the smoking bundle in a clay bowl. "If the smoke is white, all's clear. If it's black, there's a hex in the air. And, if it's red? Well, then you know you're in trouble." We both look down at the smoldering herbs, which are releasing a black smoke. "Just what I thought this storm ain't natural."

I sigh. "It's Dahlia. She's trying to pin us down."

Jackson and another werewolf join us, each of whom have a bow in one hand and a quiver of arrows on their backs. "The road to the highway is flooded. The quickest way out of here is on foot, through the back roads," Jack tells us. I sigh, overwhelmed by everything happening. "What's wrong?"

"Elijah called. Klaus is gone. We don't know where he went," I inform him.

Jack sighs. "That settles it, we gotta get out of here."

"What about the others?" I ask.

Jackson clenches his jaw anxiously. "I think we both know what has to happen."

I nod my head. Jack and I gather all the Crescent wolves. "Alright, everybody. Listen up!" Jack shouts, before looking at me.

I take a deep breath. "I want to thank you all for staying with us. Protecting us. For the past few weeks, each one of you has shown me more kindness than I have ever known. Despite hardships and tragedy, you've all become my family. You're my pack." The wolves all nod and mutter in agreement. I hesitate for a moment. "But, I can't let you risk your lives any more than you already have. The witch is coming. She's powerful, and she's not gonna stop." I look at Jack. "Jack and I will be better off taking Jolie and getting as far away as we can." I can feel tears coming to my eyes, as I try to push them back. "Alone." The wolves all look confused and hurt. "I want you to know how grateful I am for everything that you have offered me. Us. But, I can't be your queen anymore."All of the Crescent wolves kneel before me. I look at them knowing that it will be for the last time.

Jackson takes my hand and kisses it. "You will always be their queen."

It isn't long before the storm spell is broken and the sun is shining in the Bayou once more. I hold onto Jolie, as Jackson, Mary, and the other Crescents approach the Mississippi River. We stop to determine the best route to take to continue on our journey. Mary has a small tin lantern in her hand, in which she's placed several bundles of burning herbs to monitor the magic in the area.

Jack looks at me. "This is it."

I nod. "Good. Tell the others they can go. We'll be fine from here."

Mary and the rest of the wolves continue to follow behind us. Jack looks at me again. "Well, they said they're not leaving us 'til we get where we're going." He shrugs.

I turn back toward Mary, who is holding up the lantern of burning herbs. The herbs are producing white smoke, indicating that there is no magic around. "So far, so good!" She gestures towards Jolie. "Here, let me hold that little girl while you figure out where to cross." I walk over and hand Jolie to her. Jolie begins to whimper in exhaustion, and Mary immediately rocks her to soothe her. "Aw, it's okay."