Chapter Nineteen - Forgive and Forget?

It was four days until I heard anything from Caleb. Throughout the entire weekend I had contemplated on whether or not to keep calling him, to keep sending him messages asking him where he was. I had sent him a text when I'd woken up the morning after the Halloween party, but hadn't heard a word from him. He hadn't been to school Monday or Tuesday, and I had finally stopped trying to get in contact with him.

Jace and I were closer than ever; him and his friends had even abandoned the popular lunch table to sit with Carrie and me; much to Carrie's glee and Stacy Keegan's dismay. She hadn't joined us, so I guess we still weren't good enough for her, but who cared, right? After the second day of eating lunch with us, Jace, Taylor and Keith managed to turn our regular table into the new cool people's table. Our table had been full all week. When one person got up to leave, another was quick to take the vacant seat.

People were actually greeting me in the hallways when I walked to class, showing just how much popularity can rub off on you when you're close friends with the star quarterback. Somehow, Jace always found a way to sit next to me at lunch. He had spent the whole weekend cheering me up after I had remembered I'd been stood up - again.

We had spent Saturday on the couch watching movies. Our parents had left us to ourselves, I think there were some wedding details to go over. So Jace and I had made a huge bowl of popcorn, provided ourselves with plenty of soda and candy and had our own little movie marathon. Zeus was quick to catch on and had immediately jumped up onto the large leather couch and settled himself by my feet. Our parents had been back to make dinner, but since we had been in the midst of watching Lord of the Rings, Return of the King, they went into Patrick's office after we had eaten and let us finish the movie.

At one point during the movie, I lay down and settled my feet on top of Jace. He casually placed his arms on top of them and several times I felt him gently stroking my ankles. I didn't even bother to notify him. It felt too good. Again, I knew I was heading into a gray zone, danger danger, but I didn't know how to stop.

We had gone to bed without many words being spoken, besides the usual good night and sweet dreams.

Sunday, at around nine in the morning, Jace had knocked on my door from inside the bathroom, telling me to get some warm clothes on. He led me to the garage and said we were going to spend some time riding on their quads. It had coaxed a smile out of me and I happily obliged. Quad riding was so much fun, and I had tried it a few times before.

The forest area between the backyard and the lake was the perfect place to ride around.

"Remember not to press the throttle too hard, or it'll probably lurch forward and knock you off if you're not paying attention," Jace instructed as we got our gear on. Helmet and gloves, okay not much gear, but still.

"Yeah, I got it, don't worry," I replied, smiling up at him as I put on my gloves. The sun was out and despite it being early November, it was not too cold, but I had still bundled up in a warm jacket and jeans. Jace smiled back at me and after a few seconds I had to look away and occupy myself with my helmet because of the awkward tension that somehow hung in the air between us. Jace cleared his throat and got onto his quad, a silver Honda and I got onto my red one.

"Right. Let's have some fun then," he said and kicked his to start the engine. I followed suit and raced after him out of the driveway and down the dirtroad intot the woods.

On Wednesday I had barely set foot onto school property before I realised that I recognised the motorcycle sat at the front of the lot. I glanced around nervously, but the owner wasn't in sight. I followed Jace through the main entrance. He turned his head and sent me a smile, causing several of the people around us to openly stare. It had happened with Caleb and now it was happening with Jace.
Jace's smile quickly turned into a scowl, but he was no longer focusing on me, but rather on something behind me. I had a pretty good guess what it was.