Chapter Eleven - Earthquakes and Dates

Throughout the class I kept shooting glances at Caleb and several times he caught me staring at him, making my cheeks burn.

I'd never paid much attention to him, but ever since school had started I had come to notice how pretty his eyes were and how nicely fit his body seemed to be underneath his dark clothes. Wow. Freeze and rewind please! Why were my thoughts beginning to think like the mainstream Barbie dolls at this school?

Caleb was a mystery to everyone, and I found myself intrigued to solve it. The rest was, I guess, just perks. Extremely nice and pretty perks. Okay, I give up - he was hot all right. Sue me for thinking like a girl.

As the teacher drawled on and on, I wondered if Caleb would even give me a chance to try talking to him again. Lucky for me, I may not have had to wonder for too much longer.

When the bell finally rang I swiftly gathered my stuff, but before I could even get to the door, Caleb was in front of me, blocking the path. He was looking at me with interest and those eyes did something that made my insides squirm. Not exactly unpleasant. And that was good right? I mean, he was the guy I had the best chances with to distract my unwanted feelings for Jace. Mainly because he was the only other guy seemingly willing to talk to me besides Jace. No. Stop thinking about that guy. Start thinking about this one. Caleb Caleb Caleb.

"So what's your last period?" He asked as we stepped outside in the hallway. Already did I notice people eying us warily; Caleb never talked to anyone. Until now, I guess.

"I have geography with Mr. Clayton," I said, trying to ignore the stares.

"What a coincidence, so do I."

Was that sarcasm or?

I glanced over at him and for a second I wondered how on earth no one ever spoke with this guy; he wasn't so bad. Stupid rumors. At least, I hoped they were just rumors. A guy setting the gym of his last school on fire wasn't exactly the best way to describe him to my mom. Yeah okay, so I thought ahead a little, big deal.
I guess I should just ask him about it, get it all straightened out. But maybe it wasn't the best ice breaker.

Walking to class with Caleb Constantine was like entering a completely different world I hadn't known existed at school; people were staring, actually eye goggling us as we went down the hallway. There were murmurs as well, whispering from lips to ears, passing on who knew what. Suck it up Chloe, I told myself and kept my face straight and eyes focused on what was ahead.

We entered the classroom and I actually let out a sigh of relief as I dumped my bag on the table and sat down in my usual seat in the front by the window.

"Wow. How do you cope with all that staring?" I asked, looking over at Caleb who had taken a seat in opposite corner all the way back in the room. He shrugged and leaned back in his seat, putting his converse shoes on the desk. I hoped his shoes were clean.

"I hardly notice them anymore. I've learned to shut it all out because it would be a waste of time if I had to listen to all the ridiculous things they say about me."

Huh, that was pretty mature of him.

I opened my geography book to the chapter we were currently reading; earthquakes and plate-tectonics. I found it rather interesting and had even acquired a large book called Geologica; 500 pages all about the earth and its dynamic powers.
It was fascinating reading about how volcanoes worked when they erupted and what the actual earth we lived on was made of. Studying Geo-science at college was definitely on the top three list of what I wanted to study when I got done with High School.
So it was a no brainer that geography was my favorite class in school and it was one of the classes where I could call myself a straight A-student.