Chapter Fifteen - Riddle Me This

When Monday rolled around, the first thing I did after getting out of Jace's car in the school's parking lot, was to go find Caleb. I wanted an explanation for his absence on Friday night, and possibly ask for his phone number, so these things didn't happen again. If there were even a slight chance of something like that ever happening again, but I guess you never knew.

I stalked around the entrance and the surrounding hallways, but there were no signs of Mr. No-Show. With only five minutes until the first bell sounded, I made my way to Homeroom. As I entered, I saw Carrie waving at me from her usual seat, and a certain someone sitting in the back corner.

My eyes narrowed and I ignored Carrie as I moved through the classroom and claimed the empty seat next to Caleb.

"What happened to you on Friday?" I kept my voice hushed; no one needed to know what had happened, or rather, what hadn't happened at the football game. Carrie sent me an apologetic smile and turned back in her seat. I was glad I knew I had someone to count on in this classroom.

Caleb turned around in his chair to face me. I was annoyed with the fact that even though I should be angry at him, I couldn't help but think how hot he looked in a simple white shirt and jeans. He grimaced, apparently lost for words.

"I thought we were meeting up at the game?" I wanted answers. God he looked hot. Focus!

"Yeah, um, I had to be somewhere else." Somewhere else?

"Like where?"

"Like, not at the game."

"That's all you have to say?"

"Yeah, so can we please drop it?"

"Sure," I said and turned away from him. If he didn't want to talk about it, then I guessed there was nothing for us to talk about.

The teacher came in and took attendance roll. Afterwards, I went up to Carrie's table, not really feeling like sitting so close to a guy who obviously didn't want anything to do with me.

"So, distract me please. How was the rest of the party?" Immediately, Carrie's face lit up so I knew it couldn't have been that bad after Jace and I had left.

"Oh Chlo, I think I'm falling in love." Oh dear.

"Taylor, I suppose." She nodded and grinned like a little loved-up schoolgirl, which I guessed, she was.

"We kept on dancing and he was holding my hand, and sure, we were both a little intoxicated, but..." I think I knew where this was going.

"You kissed?" Her face exploded in a huge smile.

"You kissed!" I repeated, causing some heads to turn towards us, eyeing us like the weirdos we were, but neither of us noticed.

"So. What was it like?" I sat myself on the edge of her table.

"Kind of gross, actually," she said, her face dropping a little. Gross?

"Wait, gross?"

"I think he'd been smoking, because he tasted a bit ashy." I wrinkled my nose. Definitely gross.

The first bell rang and we gathered our stuff for the first period, in this case, English. Luckily, Carrie was in my class. As I went back to my seat to grab my bag, Caleb stood up, standing right in front of my desk. 

"Chloe, I don't want us to not talk." I hoisted my backpack onto my shoulder, ignoring him.

"Chloe," he pleaded, stepping in front me be, blocking my path. I tried to avoid his gaze, but in the end I caved and glanced up at him. He had the whole puppy dog look on his face and I cursed myself for giving in.