11

A/N: College starts up for me on Monday :/  I can happily announce that the book is finished and updating will be quick for the rest of the chapters. Because of school, I know my time for writing other drafts will be cut short :(  The joys of college.

Anyway, I hope you guys are doing well in life! Feel free to share thoughts in the comments!

Enjoy!

~~~

"I like this spot," I drawl in awe. I rest my arms comfortably on the railings of Box 5 and gaze out over the audience seats. It's everything people made it out to be; extravagant, comfortable, and top notch. It truly is the best view.

"That is why I reserve it for every show," Erik stands in the back, leaning against the wall in a charming manner. I glance over my shoulder and catch his enticing eyes. My heart flips in my chest. After returning from the picnic, we went to bed, or at least I did, and as soon as morning came, he offered to take me up here. I figured maybe it was a dream because he never let anyone in this box, but then again...I'm in an alternate universe, so how weird can it be? Maybe he's starting to enjoy the company and showing me around?

Or...maybe I'm getting my hopes up.

Probably the latter.

"So you're that grumpy old man who needs that specific seat to the show?" I joke, snorting out a laugh.

Erik furrows his brow and narrows his golden eyes. "Mademoiselle, I am no 'old man.' I am only 29."

My jaw drops. "29? I thought you were like... 34." It was true! In the books and the movies, he was so much older... So...why is it now that he's as young as he is? I mean...I'm not complaining. It only makes it more legal for me.

"Heavens, do I really look that old to you?" He scoffs, but there is laughter in his voice. The brightness of his cheeks and the laugh lines at his eyes really do reveal he is younger than I originally thought. I find heat rising to my cheeks and tingling at my ears. Oh god, I hope he doesn't notice how hard I'm flushed. Curse my pale complexion.

"N-no," I scratch the back of my neck, twirling my hair in my fingers. "How they portrayed you in my time was just so much older. It's a pleasant surprise, I guess you could say."

"Is that so?" He raises his eyebrow playfully, and in that second I feel my face light up like a flare. He's caught on! How do I reply!

"Attention, everyone! The cast list has been finalized."

The manager's voice breaks my already broken concentration, and I jump to my feet. "Oh! I'm sorry, I have to go quickly or they'll know I'm late."

Erik nods and starts to follow me out, but a sound from the adjacent hall catches our attention. It's Meg; late as well. She sees me and waves, hurrying up to me. I glance around and notice Erik is nowhere in sight, and I let out a sigh of relief. "We're gonna be late," I snicker, and Meg does as well.

"They can manage without us."

We hurry to the stage, coming on unnoticed from the wings behind everyone. The two managers stand at the apron of the stage, reading off the list vaguely. Meg had told Madame Giry about my dancing concerns, so she simply had me sing for her satisfaction to assign me a role as a chorus girl. Anything to blend in was perfect for me. It seems I'm not doing a terrible job at merging with the crowd, but I notice I always get a few odd stares. From the same few people.

Like right now.

A pair of bright blue eyes full of judgment lock right on me, belonging to a pale, dainty blonde with a beauty mark on her upper lip. She turns to a few girls beside her and whispers, which makes my knees tense where I stand. Please stop talking about me, I swallow thickly and drop my eyes. Meg is oblivious, her attention focused on the order of ballerinas in rank. When I glance back at the girls, the dark haired girl and the light brunette stare back with cocky smirks. I find my eyes fixated on them like a deer in headlights.