Chapter 1~Soul Mate with the Soulless

Chapter 1

I was on my way to the airport in the back of a taxi, I leaned my head against the cold window and watched as the fields empty and powdered with snow passed by in a blur. I let my mind wonder to snowy mountains, ongoing blue lakes and a place I considered home for the past two years.

I woke up from my day dreaming when the car suddenly came to a halt so quickly that not even my reflexes could have prevented my head from hitting the back of the drivers seat. If we crashed into something I would have known, so I was puzzled by the sudden stopping of the car. I sat back rubbing my head and looking for the reason of our delay and laid eyes on the last person that I ever expected or wanted to see in the world standing in front of the car. I was so surprised I froze for a second but snapped out of it as soon as it happened,  I unbuckled my seatbelt and jumped out of the car with an elegant swing of my legs.

“Get out of the way.” I said glaring daggers at him, if  looks could kill he would already be dead which was kind of ironical since vampires were already dead. He looked as good as he did the first time I laid eyes on him earlier that day, with his golden brown hair, midnight blue eyes and tall muscular body. He didn’t say anything and even with my enhanced vision I didn’t see him move but sure enough he was standing in front of me, close to me, too close. I was stunned, breathing hard and I saw him gazing at my lips and I knew exactly what he was thinking.

“Don’t!” I said lifting my hands to his chest to push him away, but for some reason I couldn’t make myself do it, so I kept my palm laid flat on his chest and he just stood there in front of me looking down into my eyes with his deep midnight blue eyes that I would never forget. He leaned down slowly his lips just a breath above mine, his lips were so close that mine tingled in the anticipation of the sweet contact, but if I gave in now, I knew I wouldn’t be able to leave.

His warm breath caressed my slightly open lips and I could smell his minty breath. I was still looking into his midnight blue eyes that made me think of a clear star filled night, like the night I went through my first change. Stop it, you cant be thinking about that, I chided myself.

“I have to go.” I said turning to open the car door, so I could climb in but as soon as the door opened he grabbed my arm turning me around to face him and looked into my eyes.

“You know as well as I do that we can’t stay away from each other even if we want to.” He said trying to make me see reason, but unfortunately I wasn’t known for seeing reason.

“Well I’m going to try anyway, so just follow my example and stay for away from me.” I said climbing into the cab and slamming the door.

“Can we go?” I asked impatiently. The cab driver nodded and we finally got back onto the road, hopefully with no interruptions ahead of us.

I leaned back touching my lips that were still tingling from his closeness, my whole body ached as if it suddenly weighed a hundred pounds more and the further I got from him the worst I felt but I still had to get away, which was what kept me going until we arrived at the airport. I knew my ticket was waiting there already, so I did all the usual and after waiting a while, got on the plane.

During the flight I read a novel that I’ve been wanting to read for months but never had the time to, Anna Karenina. After a while my eyes started hurting and I just leaned back in my seat and relaxed, before I knew it I was fast asleep. Even though I didn’t sleep long, most likely half an hour, I was still grateful that I got to escape for that long.

My feelings were all over the place with everything that was going on and even though I knew that leaving was the right thing to do even though my heart and body were urging me to do the exact opposite, I couldn’t. This situation was one of those where you have to go with or against your morals, and I chose to go with my morals. I still couldn’t believe how a soulless creature like a vampire could be my soul mate. All my life I’ve been taught that vampires were soulless creatures that thought of humans as food, thought themselves better than everyone else and basically lived above the law. My mind was filled with images of him and us together and all I wanted was to forget he ever came to find me and arrive at my destination safe and sound.