Chapter Twelve

*triggering content warning

When I woke up the next morning, I was alone.

I wasn't surprised, I was actually grateful that Aiden had went to his own room. It gave me a chance to freak out in peace.

That's what I did as I went through my normal morning routine. I showered and thought about whether or not it was going to be weird when I saw Aiden that morning. We had dinner with all of the Vincent kids that night and as much as I wanted to avoid him all day, I wanted to know what the vibes were before the dinner.

I brushed my teeth and thought about what Aiden must be thinking about my situation. I had told him about Bryce and he hadn't said a word. Instead he had pulled me against him and held me until I fell asleep. It had been one of the most relaxing sleeps of my life.

Now I had to go to dinner with him and I didn't know if it was going to be awkward or not.

I hated this. I hated feeling stupid. I hated overthinking shit.

When I felt like my throat was closing up, I pulled my phone up, dialing a number I had never used.

"I need to talk to you." I said as soon as the person on the other line picked up.

"Grace? Sure. Come on by."

***************************

I sat quietly in Dr. Collins chair as she tapped her pen against her notebook. I hadn't said anything since walking into the small, well lit room. I wanted to, but I couldn't figure out where to start.

All I knew was that I was tired.

Tired of carrying around shit in my heart and tired of that same shit randomly coming up and fucking immobilizing me with pain and stress. So if telling my problems to a stranger would help me, then I wanted to try.

"Umm...Can I tell you a story Dr. Collins?" I asked even though I knew she was going to say yes.

Of course she nodded, swiftly flipping her pen around and preparing to write. "Whenever you're ready." She said when I stayed silent.

I took a deep breath, turning in my seat so that I was no longer facing her.

"When I turned fourteen I went to the mall with my friend. I was about to be a freshman and I thought that I was growing up. I had developed early and finally I didn't feel like a little kid."

I didn't mention my religious upbringing, or how I would constantly get teased for not knowing simple shit that people my age knew, making me feel like a child.

"Somehow, me and my friend ended up inside Victoria's Secret. I bought a thong."

It was simple really. A simple purchase that would have just been an embarrassing experience for a normal teenage girl.

"I hid it. I knew I'd get in trouble if my dad saw. So, I smuggled it up to my room and placed it on the highest part of my closet."

If she knew where the story was headed, Dr. Collins didn't show it. Her expression didn't waver from the relaxed and welcoming look she always had.

"I wore it the first day of freshman year. It was uncomfortable as hell, but I liked it. It made me feel like a woman. I thought it would make other people see me as a woman."

I'd thought it would make Aiden see me as a woman. I didn't say that part.

"My dad picked me up that afternoon and I guess when I got out of the car, my shirt rose."