Chapter 12- Home Sweet Home

Harriet and Sonya led us through a dark tunnel in the mountain, they called for the drivers in the cars ahead to pull out of the way and allow us to pass through the exit. Once we safely pass through to the other side of the mountain, I notice that there are various people collecting supplies on either side of us.

"So you guys are with the Right Arm?" Mae questioned as we followed behind the two girls.

Harriet turned to look at Mae, giving her a simple nod, "Yes that's right" She replied as she walked over to a car and opened the door.

"Who the shuck is your leader?" Newt asked folding his arms across his chest.

"You'll see" Sonya answered.

"Can we meet your leader?" Thomas questioned hopefully, rocking back and forth on the balls of his feet.

"Hop in" Harriet replied as she opened the car door.

"Alright we've got five seats in my car and six in Harriet's, so that means we'll have to split your group up. Aris, you can go with Harriet and the rest of you can decide between yourselves" Sonya explained as she opened the door to her own car and hopped in.

 "Hey, you!" Sonya called from the driver's seat, blinking in surprise I turned to Sonya as she gestured for me to hop in.

"You can come with me" Sonya ordered.

Nodding quickly I rushed over to the car, opening the door I pulled myself in and sat down at in the passenger seat.

I watch, amused as the Gladers argue about who is going with Sonya and who is going with Harriet, I laugh lightly as I watched Mae roll her eyes before she and Teresa made their way over to Harriet's car.

Eventually, the door opens and Minho, Newt and Fry all climbed into the back seats.

"Alright everyone, buckle up" Sonya explained, placing her hand on the driver's wheel, "We've got a long drive ahead of us".

Once we've all buckled up, Sonya does a forty-five degree turn and begins to drive off down the mountain.

*****

I feel my cheeks heating up as I look out the window for what seems to be the tenth time, an awkward silence weighs the five of us down however Fry, fortunately, breaks it.

"So you're that Sonya girl Aris mentioned before?" Frypan asked.

Sonya's eyes flicked to the rearview mirror, she stared at Fry for a split second before nodding slowly.

"Yup, and you are?" She questioned raising a brow.

"Frypan" Fry answered, jabbing a thumb towards Minho, "This is Minho and that's Newt".

Newt smiled awkwardly as Minho nods at Sonya.

"Well, it's nice to meet you." Sonya said, "I apologise for nearly shooting you guys back there, we just could not risk any dangerous trespassers".

"Fair enough" Minho sighed, slumping down in his seat.

****

After a few hours of driving through the desert, Sonya stops the car and takes the key out of the ignition.

"Here we are!" The girl exclaimed as she unbuckled her seatbelt.

Unbuckling my own seatbelt, I hopped out the car. Shielding my eyes from the harsh sun, I glanced around.

There were hundreds of people. All walking around and talking and laughing together, there were tents set up and cars were driving up and down the road. People surrounded the luminous fires, keeping them warm.