Chapter 7- Friend or Enemy?

Newt eventually pulled away and I instinctively reach up and brush a stray tear from my cheek as i hear sniffles from the group.

"(Y/n)" Teresa said stepping into my view, "I understand that losing people to that horrific virus is hard, But we can fight through this" She whispered brushing her black hair out of her eyes.

"Teresa is right (Y/n)" Mae piped up folding her arms, "You're not alone" She gestured to everyone, "We're upset to".

"Thank you" I replied sniffing slightly.

"We should really get going guys" Aris added softly.

Thomas, who had not said a single word since Winston simply nodded, turning and walking into the distance causing us to walk back into our single file line.

I walked hand in hand with Newt along the sand, the sadness that bloomed in my heart forcing to weigh me down.

"Newt" I whispered after a long period of uncomfortable silence, the boy snapped his head around to face me before raising his eyebrows questioningly.

"How did you manage to give Winston the gun?" I questioned keeping my eyes glued to the ground as soon as I said it.

There is another long period of silence between the two of us that makes me instantly regret asking him.

"Winston couldn't go on" Newt finally began to explain, "You remember when I told you about Ben and how he couldn't go on?".

Nodding I remember Ben's enraged face, the boy was stung by a Griever in broad daylight. We had to leave him in the Maze before things got bad.

"Well Winston couldn't go on either, It had to be done" Newt continued.

"If I didn't do it, nobody would have" He went on, "I'm numb to the pain of death" He said in a cold voice.

Shuddering I feel an icy chill travel up my back at Newts words, they seemed so cold and so lifeless, like the boy didn't care.

"Before you came up to the Maze we lost a lot of people, more than we did when you arrived".

Swallowing hard I attempted not to think of all the people that died in the Glade, the people that we lost because of WCKD.

"Newt, what do you mean about you being numb to the pain of death?" I asked curiously. Newt simply shook his head.

"You don't want to know".

Eventually the land descended into darkness, we decided to set up camp in a quiet area. Minho and Frypan begin to create a fire with any remaining scraps that we found in our packs. I fall to the floor in silence and pull my knees to my chest watching the boys carelessly throw the wood into the fire.

"Hey" Mae sits down next to me, "You doing okay?".

Giving a small nod I scooted sideways, allowing her some room.

"Yeah I'm fine" I replied taking a deep breath, "Winston's death just kinda shocked me" I explained watching the radiant orange flames.

"It shocked us all (Y/n)" Mae sighed resting her chin on her knees, I just noticed how tired she looked. Dark circles surrounded her eyes making them look hollow.

"I know" I answered raising my left hand to pat her on the back. Mae returned the gesture by smiling before she nodded to me  getting up and walking over to the boys to help.

We all stare at the luminous flames as they snake up into the coal black sky, trying to understand what just happened today. We had lost two people because of WCKD.