Chapter 10- Marcus

"So you're telling us that you've told Brenda everything you know however you didn't think to even mention that you were formally friends with this Marcus guy and he's perhaps switched to the other side just for money?" Mae questioned as we trudge through the city after leaving River's place.

"Unfortunately so Hermana" Jorge replied as we turned right passing a group of people, possibly a family who were all huddled closely together over a fire, the orange and red flames dancing in front of their faces.

As we pass I accidentally make eye contact with the little boy, he looked..awful. His eyes were hollow, his hair was knotted and there was a sickening looking scar on his pale, lifeless skin. Repressing a shudder I force myself to look ahead as we walk past them.

"Are they-" Teresa asked her words stopping as she glanced over her shoulder at the family, her lips pursed together before she looked back at Jorge.

"Infected?" Nova finished for her, "Perhaps, or maybe they are slowly dying of starvation" She added, "But don't worry they can't hurt you unless they bite or scratch you".

My eyes widen as I glanced quickly at Newt, the boy pulled me gently closer to him as we continued to walk, attempting to push my fear down as I try to relax. 

As we progress down the street we get a true glimpse at what the flare has transformed people into, the family we passed previously didn't look as bad as the people we pass at this moment, the flare has broken them. Changed them, made them lose hope.

"Well here we are" Jorge proclaimed standing in the middle of the road, he looked out at a massive building before us, a banner was draped from the second storey. In big black letters were the words Zone A

The minuscule pebbles littered on the grounds were bouncing gently as the loud music from inside vibrates around us, various people are all crowded outside, all laughing, talking and drinking what I presume is alcohol.

"They're partying.." Fry said.

"That's right" Nova replied, removing her coat, "The ill come here to enjoy their last few moments before passing the gone".

"What's the Gone?" I questioned raising a brow as I watched Nova remove her coat to reveal that she was wearing a black tank top.

"It's when the infected pass a point in which there is absolutely no return to sanity, the flare fully takes over their minds" Nova explained with a sigh.

Pressing my lips into a thin line I shiver slightly as I think of the cranks that we saw in that abandoned mall, they must definitely be passed the Gone.

"Take off your coats" Jorge ordered, "You guys need to blend in as much as possible".

Reluctantly I take off my coat and scarf as everyone else does the same, we hand over our packs however as Newt is taking off his scarf, Jorge stops him.

"Keep your scarf" Jorge advised, "It will be considered as fashion in there".

Furrowing his brows in confusion, Newt gives a slow nod as Jorge turned to me, Mae and Teresa this time.

"You three put your hair down," He said nodding to the three of us.

Nodding quickly I reached up, pulling the hair-tie out of my hair, shaking my head from side to side as Mae and Teresa did the same.

I shifted my eyes to Newt to see that his jaw is opened slightly in awe as Minho snickered at him.

"You girls certainly look good," Fry said with a small chuckle, his hands placed firmly on his hips, rolling my eyes whilst shaking my head I turned to Jorge awaiting further instructions.