Chapter 57 Conflict

Cynthia's heart swelled when Peyton's voice carried into the warehouse with several others. She ran up to the dreadlocked man and wrapped her arms around him. His lips twisted into a smile that didn't quite meet his eyes. Some hues of their honey color had faded.

"It's good to see you back here," Cynthia said. She turned to Amelia and smiled. "You too."

Amelia nodded as her eyes scanned the community warehouse. Four teens ranging from a tall and muscular young man to a young woman wearing a woven floral wreath stood with the group. Mr. M came running in from the back area.

"Peyton, you made it back alive," Mr. M said, nearly out of breath.

Peyton chuckled. "This is my wife, Amelia."

They shook hands and Amelia wasted no time sizing up the man. Cynthia imagined it would be hard to trust after being kidnapped like she was. She wondered if the teens were also victims of a similar fate. The muscular blonde kept eyeing the exits in the room, his gaze hardly ever landing on the people in front of him, except for Vita.

"Pleasure to meet you, Amelia. Your husband has had nothing but good things to say about you. And who are all these new faces?"

"Mischa," the red-headed young woman said with a small wave.

"Quinton," spoke the tall, dark-haired man to her left.

"April, I'm happy to help on the gardening team Peyton mentioned you ran here."

"Wonderful," Mr. M said with a smile. "And you, young man?"

The blonde's wandering eyes focused in on the group when he realized all eyes were on him. He ruffled his hair and shoved his hands in his pockets. "Gunnar," he spoke quietly.

"Our crew calls dibs on this one," Reggie said, throwing an arm around the awkward  young man's shoulder. "If the stories about him are true."

"Welcome to Nouveau Depart, a new start for all of you. You have no doubt had a rough enough time given where you have been. If you ever need to talk to someone, I have lived between those walls in the past and I know how defeating it can feel. I imagine you would all like some food, a place to wash up and rest."

"Yes," Mischa said with a smile. The others nodded and their bodies perked up.

"Then follow me."

Vita and Gunnar hung back while the others took off into the living quarters. Vita kept tugging on the bottom of her top and biting her lip. Cynthia went over and wrapped her arms around the girl. Vita froze, but it wasn't a push away. She soon began to shake. Her balls fists worked their way around Cynthia's back.

"I don't know what to do anymore, Cynthia."

"You're going to be fine."

"Are you kidding me? There's a baby growing inside of me that no one even knows about. Mischa's fine. Her friends are fine. Gunnar's actually doing better than when I ever knew him. But, me? I'm a worthless wreck."

"Vita-"

"Ya were kinda scary in that store. I mean, if I didn't know it was you, I'dda been worried."

Vita's face brightened, to Cynthia's surprise. She must have been out of the loop with the compliments kids were giving these days. "Really?"

Gunnar shrugged. "I'm gonna check on Hunter."

Vita stood with her shoulders slumped and head pointed at the floor. Her eyes flickered to the door where Gunnar had just left. Cynthia's heart went out to the girl. The situation she faced wasn't one she wished on too many, given the gravity of their environment and the history surrounding the pregnancy.