Chapter 5 Inferno

A scowl grew on Rob’s face as he eyed the naked counter. His eyes must have deceived him. It was the only explanation.

“I’m telling you, we had more food last ni-“

He slammed his hands on the laminate surface to drown out her grating voice. She was at it again, blaming Gunnar for everything. Rob just needed a moment to process the current situation. The food and water they had stocked from the widow’s house and nearby shops was gone. Hastily blaming Gun was not something he could do. Shadows knew loyalty. They drank it for breakfast like KeyStone.

“Our food was taken and we’ll hunt down the bastards who took it. That’s probably where Gun went.”

“He just left. There was just one guy and we finally pissed him off enough that he took off,” Vita spoke with a softer tone. She tried to make eye contact, but he wouldn’t have it. His eyes narrowed on the broken clock on the stove as he drew in a deep breath. He’d been raised to never hit a woman, but maybe thoughts like that didn’t apply post-apocalyptically. 

You’ll scare the bitch off. You need her.

 “We got no proof. I’m not blaming nobody till we get some.”

As the day wore on, a small smile grew on Vita’s face, as if she took some sick satisfaction from Gunnar’s absence. Rob knew better. The kid would be back; no matter how many times he thought he’d get out of this life, deep down he was meant for it. Once a Shadow, always a Shadow. Rob had a feeling about that kid the moment he set eyes on his two years ago.

A quick case of the joint showed one elderly guy sitting behind a desk at the entrance in charge of greeting people, probably doubling as security. Two exit doors had been rigged with what looked like sensors but were probably just for show. Child’s play. Rob chuckled to himself as he strolled over to the aisle with all the health products. A kid standing at the CD rack caught his eye. Was he really planning to risk being caught over that outdated crap? He watched a moment longer and saw his head turn in a few directions before he tucked it in his hoodie pocket. The woman to his left huffed as she watched the scene. Her heels clacked with intent as she approached the teen.

“Don’t worry m’am. I can handle this,” Rob said and she stopped dead in her tracks. “It is my job after all.”

Her eyes widened as she took in his appearance. The clean jeans and preppy collared shirt led most people to think he might be respectable, particularly his parents who had wasted their money in the first place. Although, when he thought about it invested could fit better as they helped him pull off dozens of small thefts looking like a regular upstanding citizens.

“Good, customers shouldn’t have to pay for the crimes of lowlifes,” the woman said and shook her head.

“Of course, have a good evening.”

Rob walked up to Gunnar who clearly had balls based on the fact that he would attempt to shoplift so close to the register. He clearly had no experience which led to his self incriminating actions, but Rob could work with that. The holes in his sneakers and jeans led Rob to believe he hadn’t had much of a choice tonight. A perfect candidate.      

“Put it back, kid.”

The teen whipped around with a glower sketched on his pale face. Blue eyes narrowed with intensity Rob only encountered on the streets in opposing gangs lately. The Shadows needed that on their side to even the odds.

“Who the hell are you to tell me what to do?” he spat.

The irony had been lost on the kid, but Rob couldn’t help but laugh all the same. He would make sure this kid walked out with something decent. “I’m the guy who’s saving your ass from ending up in there.” Rob tilted his head towards a manager’s office that probably wouldn’t see any action until tomorrow morning. Still, if Gunnar had low experience stealing it could scare him. “CDs have labels that set off the security system. Don’t be stupid, kid. No one even listens to CDs anymore.”