Chapter 24 Reunited

To AYClaudy, she runs some great review groups to help get people together and share their great stories. If you're looking for a story with a darker side (you must be if you're still reading this one), check out Outside the Ropes. Her main character, Rea is a strong woman who's fighting her way through one tough situation after the next. You may not agree with all her choices, but you'll certainly feel for her. It's a great read, full of realism and action! Thanks for all the support with Survival :)

* * * * * 

The mystery voice had an innocent quality, but it still shocked Vita to the core. Cynthia was right. This place was too good to be true. Did desperation or naivety lead her astray? Her strong companion’s face had collapsed, a deflating balloon. Her eyes hadn’t once left that corner.

“Mom?” the voice called out again.

“Baby, is that you?”

Vita hadn’t heard hope in a long time. Her eyes began to water. Damn you, pregnancy hormones.

Footsteps echoed in the lobby. A young boy sprinted into Cynthia’s arms. Dark curly hair shook as he buried his head into her chest.

“Mom, I’m so happy to see you. I thought... I thought...”

“It’s alright, Winston. Mom’s here now. You’re okay,” Her eyes brimmed with tears, one slipped down her cheek. She pulled away from him. “Your hair!” Her hand ruffled through his mop of locks. “It’s gotten so long. I’ve missed you so much.”

Cynthia placed a kiss on his forehead and pressed him back to her chest. Vita couldn’t blame her. If she had the chance to see her family again, she wouldn’t let go either. Her eyes dropped to exposed stomach and she rubbed small circles. How big would it be now? The size of her fingernail, or her thumb? What if it had little eyes already? Maybe Cynthia was right, it could be possible to raise a baby. She didn’t have to be alone anymore.

“Mom,” the boy whined as he tried to wriggle out of the strong grasp. “Mom!”

The more Vita heard that word, the more her stomach burned with pride and hopefully nothing else. Her eyes left the family for a moment. She jumped half a foot when she saw a man with a dark complexion standing in the door frame. He watched the scene with his arms crossed stiffly over his broad chest.

“Cynthia?” Vita asked. She reached out to tap the woman on the shoulder. “Is that your husband, by chance?”

Cynthia’s head jerked up to the corner where the tall man stood with a gentle grin. The mother’s own smile dropped and she held her son tighter.

“No, Vita. I have no idea who he is.” Her calm words instilled a deep panic.

The women exchanged glances as they both stood without attracting too much attention to themselves. Cynthia had to lower her son to the ground. At eight years old, he was past the point of being carried.

“Do not be alarmed,” the man spoke in a deep voice. He took a few steps over. Close but not too close.

“What do you want with my son?” She clutched his hand like a vice.

“If you would allow, I would like to explain what we are trying to build here. A safe community.” He gestured towards the couch. Vita sat down hesitantly. Cynthia stood on the spot and sized up the man in front of her. “Please, ask your son how he has been treated the past month.”

The boy looked up at her through his curls. “Mom, Mr. M takes good care of everyone.”

“Are you eating?”

“Three meals a day. On Fridays, the kids get to make pancake breakfast.”

Vita sighed and let her shoulders relax. That sounded so much better than crackers.