Chapter V.

The next few days passed sleepily, everyone in Skyworld at ease. Only Palutena and I knew that her entire domain was doomed.

Though it still felt natural, I had to practice flying to get used to it. I flew all around Skyworld, traveling from the various islands I could finally reach myself. I usually practiced at night or early in the morning, trying to stay away from everyone else. I often peered down beneath the clodus, looking down at the world below, but I couldn't bring myself to leave. Knowing I was in danger didn't help; the land beneath was filled with too many unknowns.

I bumped into Pit in the hallway one day, watching as he started walking by my side. "Are you okay?" he asked. If the poison from Palutena was affecting him, he was doing a great job hiding it.

"Why wouldn't I be?" I frowned, walking toward the dining hall.

Pit shrugged. "You've been spending a lot of time in your room. You're not hiding anything, right? The poison is gone?"

"The poison is gone," I replied. I glanced at Pit, not knowing how to explain. "I've been resting, playing video games, stuff like that."

"Oh, okay," Pit said. He seemed to buy it. "Let's go get something to eat!"

I didn't particularly want to hear Pit talk for half an hour, but I decided to go with him. "Fine."

He looked happy, a smile on his face. It almost made me smile, too, but it disappeared when I realized his wouldn't last.

We walked into the dining room, a couple of angels hanging out in a corner talking. I looked at them warily, but they didn't pay me much attention. "I'll get some food," Pit said. I took a table far away from the other angels, drawing with my finger over the table as Pit grabbed everything he could find from the fridge.

He dropped food over the table and I decided not to comment on how much he ate. At least he wasn't eating ice cream off of the floor. I glanced over everything he had grabbed, opening a packet of Pop Tarts. It was always amazing how different we were.

"Maybe the poison was all a mistake," Pit said suddenly. "You know? Or maybe even Nyx did it."

"Nyx didn't do it," I said, shaking my head. That was something I was sure of. "She didn't really gain anything."

"Maybe it was meant for someone else," Pit said. "Like a different god."

"I..." I didn't know what to say. I really didn't know any more than he did. "Have you guys found anything? You were looking for clues, right?"

Pit shook his head. "We didn't really know where to look. Palutena wouldn't let us go to the Underworld, which I'm not really upset about."

"Us?" I said, raising an eyebrow.

Pit wouldn't look at me. "I took a couple of other angels with me. I really meant me and Palutena when I said us. The others were just there for backup. I wanted to take you, but..."

"But you were worried I wasn't ready," I said. "I hate to say it, but I probably wasn't."

"You're not mad?" Pit asked, surprised.

I leaned back in my chair with a laugh. "Nothing to be mad about."

"I know you've been stuck here for so long," Pit said. "You want to leave. At least for a while. I don't blame you."

I opened my mouth to say something, then closed it. He wasn't completely wrong, but I wasn't really sure what I wanted. 

"Want to do something today?" Pit asked hopefully.

"What, you don't want to go play with the other angels?" I asked.

Pit looked hurt. "I just thought that you might be lonely. You act tough, but... I don't think you like to be alone all the time."