Chapter I.

"Why can't I beat you?" I screamed, jumping back. I nicked an arrow, watching as Pit jumped out of its way with ease. I put my hands on my knees and leaned over, trying to catch my breath. "Months of training, and I still can't beat you. It's ridiculous."

It had been four months since Hades' war, the world finally getting itself back together. Without the Power of Flight, I had been stuck on Skyworld, spending my days in boring relaxation. I almost missed the fighting and chaos, the slowness of the days slowly driving me crazy. Sparring with Pit was the only thing that felt natural.

Pit shook his head, sitting on the ground to rest. We were where we usually fought, on the side of Palutena's Temple. It was just a rectangular concrete slab, the setting sun giving it an orange glow. There was a giant tree nearby, but its shade was too far away to give us any relief from the sun. A box of old, warped weapons sat on the corner, letting us change weapons quickly without having to go all the way inside.

"It's not fair," I said, standing back up. I formed my hand into a fist and clenched my teeth together almost painfully. "I was supposed to get all your skills and mirror your personality."

"You complain about this every time we fight," Pit sighed. "You just need more practice."

"Maybe I wouldn't be so angry if you weren't always holding back," I growled. I felt anger bubbling up inside.

"I'm not..." Pit said, his voice trailing off.

"I'm not an idiot, Pit," I spat. "At least the Mirror of Truth didn't make me dumb like you."

"I wouldn't say I'm dumb," Pit protested.

I took in a breath, letting it out slowly. "No more going easy on me. Got it?"

Pit didn't say anything for a moment. "I don't want to hurt you," Pit finally said. "What if I-"

"I can't get better fighting someone who is constantly afraid to hurt me," I said. "I can handle bruises and cuts."

"But what if I give you more than a cut or bruise?" Pit asked. "What if I stab you, or something worse?"

"Then I'll take care of it," I said. "I can take care of myself."

"But-" Pit said.

"Shut up!" I yelled. "Get up and fight me!"

Pit sighed, getting off the ground. He tore his bow into two blades, and I watched and waited as he ran toward me. I stepped to the side and readied an arrow, not expecting Pit's next move. He turned quickly, jumping and kicking at me. I barely had time to put my arms in front of my face, and Pit jumped away before I could slash out at him. I growled, splitting my bow as well. I blocked with them as Pit ran at me, ducking behind the two ends. I thought I would be able to push Pit's swords away, but his weight and strength on top of me was too much.

I almost fell to my knee, but ducked and rolled, Pit's swords cutting into the concrete. I stepped back as Pit rushed toward me again, using my wings to get more air in the ground as I jumped over him. I felt my eyes grow wide as an arrow whizzed past my ear, less than an inch from missing. I had barely landed when Pit's foot rammed into my stomach, throwing me away. I rolled across the concrete, wrapping my arms around my stomach and curling up. But I didn't let the pain hold me back; I jumped to my feet, ready to fight.

Pit looked surprised when I ran toward him, wanting to at least get one hit in. I slashed with my blades wildly, making him move backwards and forcing him onto the defensive. He jumped to the side, but I was ready. He fell backward as I swung in a wide arc, but rolled to the side, slashing out at me. I yelled in frustration, swinging my feet out to make him fall as he stood. He flipped onto his hands, widening the space between us. We rushed at each other again, and I held my swords up to protect as the blows came. I had intended to disarm him, breaking or at least forcing one of the swords out of his hands, but he threw his foot into my side, my ribs in sudden pain. I fell to my knees as a breath sent stabbing pains into my lungs.