Chapter III.

I froze, looking at the ground. I even forgot about the pain in my arm for a moment.

Even though I had only been conscious for four months of my life, I knew who Nyx was. When I had first come to Skyworld, I did research on various things, trying to find a home. But after learning about the horrible things Nyx did, I let it go. She was manipulative and cunning, though she wasn't a big player in any past war. She kept to herself, living in the shadows alone. Her hobbies were what made her terrible: she lured men into traps and killed them in some pretty gruesome ways.

And this was who Palutena was suggesting I go to.

I laughed lightly after getting over my initial shock. "You really are trying to get me killed off, aren't you?"

Palutena was serious. "I'm not. This is the only thing I can think of. If anyone can figure out this poison and save your life, it's her."

She looked at me sadly, our eyes meeting. She had a small smile on her face. "I wish you weren't right."

With a sigh, she said, "You don't have to go. But... there's something else. There's a chance she would be able to gift you the Power of Flight. Though, as you've realized, it's a huge risk."

I took in a breath, looking straight ahead. It took me a moment to realize what she was saying. I had wanted the Power of Flight for so long, even the idea of possibly obtaining it seemed like a dream. "I could fly again..." I said softly.

"I've been trying to find a way to give you a permanent Power of Flight," Palutena said. "It was my fault you lost it in the first place."

I waited a moment before replying. "I made the decision to save him. The blame falls on me. It's one of the few times I've made a decision for myself."

"This is something you need to think about," Palutena said. "Nyx could kill you, or refuse to help you, or-"

"I don't really have a choice if I want to live," I said. "If something happens and she decides to kill me, things will end no differently."

Palutena chuckled. I could feel her gaze on me. "I thought you would say that."

I stood up, looking up at the blue sky. Next to me, sitting on the ground, Palutena was as tall as I was when I was standing. "When?"

"Tonight," Palutena said. "At sunset. In her realm it will be midnight, which is the easiest time to get to her lair."

"Fine," I said.

"By the way," Palutena said, "I won't be flying you there."

I frowned. "How am I supposed to get there?"

"I've talked to Viridi," Palutena replied happily. "The two of us have become friends since the war ended, and she's happy to help you."

"Is that what she told you?" I said. "Because I guarantee you, she hates me."

"That's a strong word," Palutena laughed. "I don't think she hates you."

"I'm pretty sure you and Pit are the only ones that tolerate me," I said bitterly. "Anyway, why can't you fly me?"

"It has to do with the light and dark," Palutena explained. "I can't go near her, she can't come near me. It doesn't really bug me."

"I can't imagine why."

"If you're serious about going, you should get some sleep," Palutena said, standing. She held her staff in her hands, looking out at the clouds. She looked stressed, the knowledge that Pit was ultimately going to hurt Skyworld eating at her. "You had a rough night."