Chapter Fourteen

The gelding moved like a wisp of lace. Muscles rippled against his sleek chestnut coat and his hooves barely seemed to touch the ground. Merexes was Holly Aekwood's prized mount. The warmblood held a fierce temperament, headstrong and moody as a mare in heat but he was an eventing legend. The imposing horse reminded me of Arrow in a way.

Another rush of excitement waved over my body. Holly Aekwood was mentoring me.

"It's lovely to meet you Ally." She said, sailing past me.

My mouth ran dry and my gaze dropped to the floor.

"T-thanks, you're um my idol."

She chuckled lightly, then slowed Merexes to an energetic amble. In a swift motion she swung to the floor. The gelding snorted indignantly and flicked his flaxen tail.

"So," She started, grinning from her emerald eyes. "I heard your colt's a challenge!"

With a faint smile on my lips, I nodded vigorously. In my complete awe, I could only stutter in her presence so I quickly decided to speak as little as possible. She patted Merexes' sweaty neck and lifted the reins over his twitching ears.

"You don't have to be nervous." She reassured, resting her palm on my shoulder.

"I-I um well..."

A soft buzzing noise emanated from her pocket, followed by a tinkling melody.  She signaled for a moment and dug into her pocket. As the girl grinned and chatted into the device, a pinch of envy shivered over me. Holly was beautiful, her hair in soft strawberry blonde coils and her bottle green eyes alight with passion. She was lean, willowy and fit. She stood with confidence and smiled brightly and often. Not only was her physical appearance intimidating, her personality was utterly admirable and her talent as a rider was unmatched.

Holly’s face shifted to that of pure excitement and glee.

“You ride here!?” She asked the phone, her eyes sparking with emerald flames. “I’m at the dressage arena. Cool, see you in a minute.”

She exhaled deeply as she pushed her phone back in the small pocket of her jodhpurs. She directed her gaze to me.

“Do you know anyone called Lacey Johnson?” She questioned, leading Merexes to the water station.

I nodded.

“Um yeah she’s my best friend.”

Another spark of envy bounced across my stomach. It was an issue. Lately jealously twisted through me. I hated myself for it.

A chuckle escaped her throat.

“That’s too cool! I’ve known her family since I was two, we’re practically cousins!”

I smiled at this, I remembered Lacey telling me she had expert help from a family friend.

Then she appears. Her pace was hurried and bead of sweat cascaded down her forehead.

“Holly!” She exclaimed. Holly smiled and waved. Lacey wrapped her long arms around Holly’s torso then focused her gaze on me

“Ally! Oh my gosh! You’re here too?” Her face was contorted with shock and glee. My cheeks rose up and I nodded.

Lacey’s eyes darkened.

“Something’s happened you won’t like it.”

With that, she spun on her heel and moved away. Holly beckoned me to follow, flapping her palm in Lacey’s direction with a small grin. I took off after her.

____________________________________________________________

“I told you.”

A groan passed over my lips. All my life I had been urged to never judge someone before you knew them. Except, this person was Cassidy’s friend. Cassidy’s friends always had a constant factor. They acted like spoiled, mini versions of her. I could tell by the way this girl moved that she was no different.

The girl boasted porcelain skin and her hair faded from blonde to blue. Her eyes were feline like, one sea green and the other brown. She was short, skinny and her thin lips were curled into a persistent scowl. She might of been pretty, except her features were angular and her jawline square. She stepped with a superior sway and released daggers from her glares.

Cassidy’s arm was linked with hers. They looked like sisters, although Cassidy’s hair fell in platinum blonde coils and as much as I hated to admit it her face didn’t look as smashed in with a brick as I’d like it too be. Miss Snobby Barnacle Butt Brain and her sidekick pulled to a halt in front of us.

“How’s your leg?” Cassidy asked with mock sympathy. She placed her palm over her lips.
“Oh wait!” I don’t care.”

Her sidekick giggled obnoxiously. “Come on Danni,” Cassidy started. “Let’s actually train our foals instead of letting them go feral, really Allegra, you’re a terrible example for the little ones!”

They laughed again. That fake, squirrel-ish laugh that ignited my temper.

Cassidy and Danni paced away. Lacey just sighed and pulled me away from the makeshift tack room. After the fire, most of the tack had been recovered and placed in the meeting house. I was seething. It was obvious Danni was here to stay, apparently she had a foal.

“Let's go Ally. Aria wanted to examine the lighter one more time.”

_____________________________________________

Who likes the new cover?!

What do you think of Danni?

Any feedback or improvements? I'd love to hear them :)

Sorry for not updating in so long!

My goal in Wattpad life is to receive fan-art :P

(Danni's hair in picture!)