Chapter 17

The engine of the dusty automobile choked and spluttered to life. Hastily, I fastened my seatbelt and hauled my suitcase onto the seat beside me.

"Camp 2016! Smile Al!" My mother exclaimed shoving her camera in my face. I grimaced, my last threads of enthusiasm demolished.

"Please, don't call me Al."

Her features drooped and twisted, her vibrant azure eyes faded into a stern gaze.

"What is the matter with you Allegra? You love camp!"

I sigh, a distance fluttering in my eyes. Each year there was a brief flood of anxiety, however, usually it was short lived.

"I'm just cold." I murmured, gazing wistfully through the nebulous glass. I did not lie to my mother. The early chill of dawn had ensnared me in her shivering grasp. My petty statement was far from my real concern through.

Mrs. Mason's eyes were the bluish steel of midwinter sky and they bored into me with her infamous judgemental scowl, one eyebrow raised on her pale complexion.

"Put a jacket on you muppet." She snipped, resting her palms on the steering wheel.

Begrudging, and considerably confused, I yanked on a faded lilac cardigan and resumed my sulking stature. The car rumbled, almost joyfully, and we set off. The paved roads rolled out beneath us as dragons breath spread across the blank canvas of dawn. Every shade of orange, pink and blue scattered across the early morning sky.

Three minutes into the trip, my mother turned to me.

"What is it?" She inquired, a serious tone seeping through her maternal words.

"Nothing."

Lies.

"If it was nothing, you'd be babbling on about Fleur and Bullet like you've done the past four drives to this thing!" She stated the undeniable truth, however my blue mood refused to acknowledge it.

"I don't even ride them anymore." Truth. Of course, a controlled portion of the truth. I predicted my mother's reaction to possible thieves at Shadow Hill would be less than unsavoury.

Mum paused.

"What about Arrow? Oh and that girl Lacey, or uh Aria was it?"

I leaked a small grin.

"Well it'll be fun to hang out with Lacey and Aria but Arrow's a nightmare and... Cassidy is still going at me."

"Don't let that horrible girl ruin your fun. Okay, I promise you, you will have so much fun if you don't let a silly girl take it from you." She tucked her short lemon hair behind her ears, an idiosyncrasy of hers which expressed her utmost honesty. "You'll ride ponies, hang out with girls who love riding ponies, then you'll come home and annoy the entire family to death with your endless stories about riding ponies."

The vehicle ground to an abrupt halt in the bustling parking lot of Shadow Hill. With trembling fingers, I unbuckled the seatbelt and slid out of the car. The chatter of a dozen blissful children reverberated through my ears. My breaths were laboured and uneven, still brimmed with nerves, yet the joyful atmosphere was starting to infiltrate my dark demeanor. A broad smile spread across my lips when I caught sight of Aria. Deep ebony rings drooped beneath her emerald eyes, issuing a frown across my face. I gestured her over and she quickly obliged, her feet pattering softly against the hay-littered concrete.

"Hey Ally!" She greeted cheerfully, then she softened her tone and allowed her token shyness to consume her tone.

"Um... Hi Mrs. Mason..." Her words trickled off into a inaudible murmur before she could complete every syllable. My mother smiled politely and softly introduced herself. Aria nodded along silently.