Chapter Twelve

A raging inferno flared across the main barn. Screams were emitted from inside the burning building. People were in there. Horses were in there. Lacey was in shock, she was trembling, her eyes were wide and terrified. Without another thought, she leaped from Fire's back. She threw the reins into my hands and sprinted towards the fire engulfed barn.

"LACEY!" I screamed in fright, coughing immediately as the black smoke drew to my lungs. Frantic whinnies sounded from everywhere and the fire began to spread. It caught onto the fence burning off the paint.
I digged rapidly through the pockets of my baggy jeans, my cellphone wasn't there.

Hobbling on my crutches, I dragged the nervous gelding to saftey. Fear swam violently around my stomach. The coughing fits began as the smoke drew ever closer. Up above, the sky was blue and there was little chance of rain. My heat leaped like a drum in my chest. Eventually I found a far off tree, where hopefully Fire would be safe from the fire. How ironic.

"Lacey!'?" I exclaimed again, my voice hoarse and muffled by the descending smoke. A loud crack came from the barn. The roof was going to collapse. I couldn't go in there with my crutches. I would die. So instead, I did the only thing I could do. I raced as fast as I could on the metal support and I screamed.

"HELP!" I yelled at the top of my lungs, there were houses nearby. They might hear. "HELP! THERE'S A FIRE!" My lungs burned from the screaming and the smoke. I turned back to the flaming barn. To my relief a gathering of girls and horses had formed outside of the barn. Lacey sat there, sobbing loudly. She had managed to save two horses, Bullet and a kind little mare called Adorra. My eyes scanned over the crowd, naming the horses I saw.

Flash.
Bullet.
Adorra.
Fire.
Whisper.
Oreo.
Max.
Lilac.

No Arrow. No Flicker. No Venus.

Adrenaline took over and all I could feel was the intense desire to save them. I moved my crutches forward and began towards the barn. When I was closer, I could hear Arrow's desperate attempts to escape. I threw off my sweatshirt and used it to cover my mouth. With a deep breath, I entered the flaming stable. Heat overwhelmed my body but I kept moving, just hearing the scared little squeals kept me passionate. Yelling sounded from outside the barn. Flames crackled and destroyed all around me. It were times like these when Arrow had the worst luck all the way at the back.

Arrow and Flicker were close together, the whites of their eyes blaring with fear. Coughing loudly, I approached them, the fire had already wrecked the back of the barn and it had moved to the front. Without much care, I tugged them forward. I dropped my crutches and instead rested my weight on their withers as we moved out of the dark ruins. Everything was burnt to a crisp, all the tack was gone and shriveled up and the stalls were destroyed. Then, I heard another frantic call.

Venus.

The palomino was trapped in the inferno, her hoof under a post and bleeding badly. My eyes widened as I noticed the mare. Around her, fallen beams hosted parties of flames. She tugged at her hoof, trying desperately to free it from it's burning prison. Tears forming, I slumped off of Arrow and Flicker's back and crawled towards Venus. She snorted and tossed her head, her eyes white with utter terror. With my good leg, I kicked away the pole that came down on her hoof. Arrow whinnied loudly, then ran for the exit, Flicker hot on his hooves. Reaching up, I tried to grab a hold of her halter.

Then suddenly, the roof came down.

A deafening thud and a harrowing squeal was the last thing I heard before the dark smoke consumed me.

_________________________________________________

Well that was dramatic.
I'm writing this late at night and I'm sorry because it sucks.
You guys were getting really sad because I didn't update
Sooooo here it is!
Enjoy!

This Chapter's Question: Who do you think started the fire?