Chapter 5

It was the light hitting Luna’s eyelids that woke her up. Her eyes snapped wide open, her vision blurry before adjusting to the brightness of the room. It was large, airy and definitely made of cement. The walls looked cool and were painted in a deep tan colour with intricate edging. There were columns supporting numerous archways that fed off into other rooms. Luna groaned, clutching her head, wincing at the soreness. The energy drain that accompanied non-corporeal-to-corporeal matter transformations was absolutely ridiculous. It was one thing to create corporeal bodies for Wish Angels—she understood that completely—but another to make it an extremely laborious process. She was glad that this did not happen as soon as her soul was stripped free of its physical confines. It was at that moment that she noticed the feel of her surroundings. She was in a large bed, that seemed to overcome her willowy frame, and she could feel the softness of the silk underneath her skin and on top of her skin. She also felt gauzy material wrapped around her legs, a feeling that she connected to the clothes she was wearing. The light breeze was rushing over her arms and face and she could feel the feathers in the pillow poking out towards the lining of the pillow. The amount of sensation was overwhelming!

Despite her status as a Wish Angel, she hadn’t spent much of her time in corporeal form—at most a few days, and each time felt like a rebirth. It seemed like she would never adjust to the prospect of having a physical body ever again. Touch, smell and taste were once again foreign senses, and it was almost as if she hadn’t spent twenty one years in the physical world. Of course, she had nothing to compare this to, but from her assumptions and attempts to keep track of time within Paradise, she had concluded that she had been there for at least several millennia, even though it felt like no time had passed at all. Regardless the sensual attack she was receiving right now was giving her a headache—another feeling she hadn’t experienced in a long time. She groaned and pushed the silky cover from her body and moved to the edge of the bed she was on. A wave of dizziness hit her and she stopped her movements for a moment, waiting for her vision to return to normal.

She looked out of the large archway that led to a balcony and saw a world she had never imagined. She also saw a sky full of stars even though it was blindingly bright. She had no idea where she was. In her life, she had never travelled to any other universe but her own. She was confined by her blood and could not leave like so many of her kind could. She had only seen the worlds within her own universe and while they were diverse, she had never seen anything that compared to this. Being able to see space on the horizon with the sun out confused her greatly. Intrigued, she slid off the bed and carefully lowered her feet to the ground, standing up shakily. Standing was once again a new sensation, and she was painfully aware of her bodyweight on her feet. She could feel the cool stone underneath her toes, and the smoothness, the ridges in between the pavers and the breeze as it hit her legs.

She took a shaky step forward, staying in the shadows of the room as she approached the archway. Each step felt like an immeasurable amount of effort and she frowned at how tired she was already becoming. Physical bodies were not ideal in the slightest. 

She gripped the edge of the archway and frowned at the sunlight that was pooling onto the balcony. Sunlight had never been good news for her in her past life, and despite the countless times she had gained a physical body throughout her role as a Wish Angel, she had never let go of the habit to avoid the sun. It wasn’t that the sun was a bad omen to her in the past, it just wasn’t preferred. Luna stared at the light hitting the stone floor, her lips pursed. She was being irrational, she knew, but she just wasn’t sure.  Slowly, she extended a hand out towards the rays of sunlight, biting her lip. Her fingers twitched a little as her hand neared the light, and suddenly, she pulled her hand back. Luna shook her head and clutched her hand to her chest. She sighed deeply, and took a few more steps forward, letting go of the archway and stepping into the light. The sudden warmth penetrated Luna’s skin, causing her to gasp in shock. It had been too long, and it was so different to be able to stand in the sunlight and not feel its side effects. Perhaps having a new physical body every time she was working wasn’t so bad. She stepped forward and placed her hands on the railing of the balcony, leaning forward and closing her eyes. The breeze moved her hair against her shoulders, her clothes against her skin and the sunlight covered her in a warmth that she had never known.  So caught up was she in the moment that she hadn’t noticed footsteps approaching and a presence beside her.