LittleBrother!Germany x BigSister!Reader

Title: You Lied

----------

I don't exactly know how things could have gotten this bad. Mutti and Vati were long gone, and now Ludi was. We were living with several families in an apartment when the Nazis raided our home.

One day we were sitting at the table, passing around food and talking about school, then the next day we had no food but bread and thin broth, and there were five other families living in our already over crouded apartment.

It started out with Hitler taking over Germany. Soon after that, he began to move Jews into ghettos. The ghettos (I've heard) are just places where they will hold us before they will move us to death camps.

I remember the day Hitler took over Germany with his Nazis. Mutti and Vati whispered in the kitchen while bruder and I slept in our shared room in our smaller previous apartment. It was raining outside and they had played the radio all day. They made bruder and I stay in our room, so we could not hear what they were saying, or what the radio was saying. Celebrations ravaged the small streets of the complex we had lived in. I can still picture the Nazi banners and the chanting of the people, even in the cold rain, they celebrated Hitlers rise to rule Germany. I was joyous, though I did not understand at the time what all this ment. How much things would change. I was a little girl, and I did not understand.

I remember falling asleep to the sound of pittering rain, and I remember thinking..that I could hear my mutti's sobbing. I now know that she was. I had brushed it off, unconcerned. I remember the days before everything went spiraling down to hell on earth. My mothers vinalla perfume wafting through the air as she sat knitting in the living area of our home. I remember opening the windows to let in fresh air, and I can still feel my mothers hands running through my hair as she combed it with a brush just after I had taken a bath. I can taste our morning porridge on the tip of my toungue. Exactly the way Mutti made it: with brown sugar on top. These memories were so welcomed. I wish they weren't just memories. I wish I had taken advantage of my mutti's hugs and kisses, my vati's kind words, and my little bruders constant admiration. It's gone now, and I will never again hold those things in my grasp.

Tears pricked my vision as I heard the terrified screaming scratch at my ears, and burn into my memory. I would never forget the fear, I will never forget that scream. It pierced through me so much unlike that of any other of any person screaming in the current Nazi raid. It was a little boys scream. So much like Ludi. So young. No child deserved such a fate. Popping resounded around me. Guns. More screaming. I pressed my back harder against the wooden door. I choked back sobs as I heard something hard hitting the ground outside the door. Mrs. Peters. She had protected me by shoving me into the closet and locking it. She was dead. I heard her gurgling blood, I heard the pop of a gun. I could hear footsteps fading, and the screams gradually died down as people were loaded into cars. This would be the last car load before the ghetto was empty. I would be the only survivor, unless I was found.

I wasn't. I waited for hours it felt like. I was to scared to come from the closet. What would I see? Mrs. Peters corpse and broken glass most likely. I wretched. The vomit was sickening. I really did not understand. What was so upsetting about the Jewish? What did we do wrong to be treated so poorly? Why did they have to take away Mutti and Vati?

I can still hear my mothers pleads and sobs as they dragged her down the stairs. I can feel Ludi's child-like hands clutching the fabric of my dress, I smell copper. Blood. It was terrifying.

Remember the better times. Stopping at the bakery for bread on my way home from school, and meeting my friends at the pool. I can still picture (best friends name) perfectly, though (he/she) died a year ago in the first raid. Tears stained my cheeks, along with blood. Stabs of pain prickled through me. What did I do wrong?

I miss them so much. I miss running up the stairs to our apartment, I miss having childish fights with Ludi, and I missed my vatis old pipe that he smoked every evening. I missed everything so much. Better times ____, think of all the fun you had.

Going to the department store with mutti, and picking out dresses. I remember gathering different ones in my arms. A blue one with black stripes, another that was red, and a lovely peachy dress with small frills on the ends. My vatis book case. I remember opening up the books and smelling their white and faded pages. The paper boy. He was quiet funny, with his cap and sligh smile. I grinned. Gilbert had been such a goofball.

I miss him too. I miss walking the streets of Berlin with mutti holding my hand. Why did things have to change? I missed Ludi, it seemed, most. I wish I hadn't sent him away, or at least I wish I could have went too. He had went away on a train to England to be safe. He was on the last train. I still hope he will remember me. Guilt stabbed my chest.

"Ludi hold my hand so you don't get lost," the words flowed automatically. I needed to keep him safe now. "I'm a big boy! I don't need anyone to hold my hand!" he stated crossing his arms. It was early in the morning, so he was grumpy.

I grabbed his grubby hand anyways. This will be the last time I will ever hold it after all. He tried pulling away, but my grip was like iron. He may have been stubborn, but so was I.

We arrived next to the train he was to take to safety. He, being a 'big boy', began to lead the way to the entrance of the train. I pulled my hand away from his as the man at the front of the train helped him on. He turned to me offering his hand. "I'm not going," I stated. He raised an eyebrow. I shrugged. It was true. I didn't have enough money for two tickets. Ludi did not knows this. As far as he knew, I was still walking behind him onto the train.

I stepped back. Looking into the sea of faces peering out the windows of the train as it pulled away. Children yelled farwells to their parents. I searched for Ludi's face. I saw him.

His face was blotched. He was smart enough to understand now. I was not coming with him. I was staying in Germany. He stared out the window and just as the train pulled away, as the children had quieted down and taken their steats, as the train station went quiet. I saw his small head peek from the window as they took their leave. He screamed," You lied to me."

I did lie.

It was only to save him though, and as long as he is safe.

It doesn't matter.

----------

Quickie I did this weekend!~ I hope you enjoyed. Thanks for reading.

~K.