Chapter Thirty-Four

Ro kept herself busy the following day. She ground, picked, sorted, and packaged. Anything she could do to prevent herself from thinking of what was coming. The moment she gave herself time to think she knew that she would break. So when Kaihula had asked for volunteers to go to the northern side of the palace grounds to collect the leaves of the garnet thistles she happily accepted.

There were two other healers that accompanied her. Both were native-born. Lucille was of Asian descent and looked to be in her mid-thirties while Boris was an older Russian with a big burly frame. Both were good friends and talked more to each other than to Ro. It normally wouldn't have bothered her so much, but she was trying desperately to keep her mind off of other things and interrupted their conversation several times.

"So your brother was sold to the Wildwood Court? Is he a healer too?" Ro called out to Lucille who headed the trio.

"No...he is a cook."

"Oh really?" Ro was surprised by the answer, "I burn water. I've never been able to cook. I would normally heat something up in the microwave or eat something quick like a Poptart." Both of the healers looked at Ro as if she were a crazy person. She realized that being native-born they wouldn't know the things that she was talking about. "Oh I'm sorry. I just meant that I am not talented in preparing food."

Boris spoke this time, "All that matters is that you can prepare the ailments needed."

Ro looked down at the ground as she walked, "Yeah..."

"Aurora, we are approaching the location of the thistles. Be quick about this."

Ro turned towards Haren who had been walking behind the healers. He had been assigned to guard her that day. Ro was happy to not have to see Orin. He would have only reminded her of what was coming. He answered the Halfling by nodding and took the final steps to reach the plants. Ro got to her knees and started to carefully remove the delicate leaves from the stocks. The leaves of the garnet thistles were used to make toxins that the Kingdom's archers used to coat their arrows for battle. The King had issued a mass production and all the healers had been hard at work to meet his request.

"Aurora do not let the leaves touch anything other the pouches. We cannot afford to taint the toxin." Lucille spoke as she picked.

Ro nodded, "Okay."

The three had nearly filled up five pouches when Haren told them to be still. Ro's stomach sank as she saw the worried look on the Halfling's face. Haren's hand was hovering over his dagger and Ro knew that it would only take a brief moment for him to attack with it. The Halfling's pointed ears were fixed and alert. He clenched his jaw as he listened. Ro felt the slightest breeze around them and she knew that Haren heard something that the humans couldn't.

"Be gone Troll!" Haren shouted in the Fairy language. "Your territory is along the border!"

Ro whipped her head in the direction that Haren was shouting. Her eyes widen as the familiar creature stepped out of the wood line down a ways from them. It was not a Troll that she had seen before but it had the same look. The ugly warty grey skin and green rotten teeth. The Troll did not heed Haren's words and began to take several staggering steps toward them.

Haren's dagger was now drawn, "I said be gone!" Haren lifted the dagger, "Another step means your life!"

The Troll stopped and began to sway back and forth. Exhausted. He was breathing heavy and now that the Fae was closer, Ro could see his injuries. His clothes were torn and burned. Bloodstains had hidden their true colors. The Troll was bleeding down one of his arms and had a deep gash across his forehead. He moved his mouth to speak but struggled to find words.