Chapter Twenty-Five

Arik knelt in a grove of wind willows that swayed in the chilled air. They were blooming now, but their colorful flowers would soon fade and fall with the coming of winter. This place. Arik had visited this part of the wood more times than he had cared to recall. He knew every path, rock, and tree. He had spent many of his days as a child playing in the branches of the wind willows listening to the bird songs and climbing as high as he dare to gaze at the mountains that bordered the western part of the Court. His mother had shown him this place. She too had played there as a child and told Arik that it was always the one true place that she could find happiness. 'There is magic in the trees.' she told him. When the wind blew hard enough through the trees you could hear what sounded like bells chiming. He always thought that was what she was referring too and every time he heard the bells he felt his mother's presence.

Arik's eyes were locked unto the stone that he had carved into so many years ago. Tanz im licht der sterne und weiß dass ihr geliebt werdet. Dance in the light of the stars and know that you are loved. Helga had not come with him to bury his mother. That was his burden alone to bear. Arik would not have it any other way. It was several weeks until Arik felt that his sister was strong enough to visit her. And after a time Helga would come on her own to visit her. Arik had stumbled upon her kneeling in front of the stone two days before she was to go to the Frostfall Court. Arik had hidden himself behind one of the willows and listened as his sister cried. Not for herself, but for him. 'Please watch over Arik, mother. Please keep him safe.' She had feared him being alone.

There were moments when he felt the tug of loneliness, but they were short lived. He had kept himself busy with assignments and training. He looked forward to requests from the Frostfall Court so he could visit his sister, but they were also times that he dreaded. Seeing Helga grow into a beautiful woman had pleased him, but watching her grow old and sick had hurt his heart. She had gotten good at hiding her struggles from her brother when he came to see her, but Arik was not a fool. He knew her burdens and hated himself for not being able to bear them for her. He knew that her remaining time was short and had requested to collect her body from the Frostfall Court when it was done. Alston had agreed and Arik was thankful to know that Helga would be lain by their mother.

Arik placed a hand on the stone, "Mother...I ask you to watch over this child."

Arik moved his eyes to look down at the small body wrapped in a cloak. "Guide her to her mother. Dance with her. Make her smile." The Halfling shifted his body to pull the child into his arms. He moved the cloak to expose her face. She was pale and her scars were vibrant across skin. The rest of her mutilated body was kept covered. Arik just wanted to see her face one last time. He stroked her cold cheek with his thumb as he held her to his chest.

"You are sparkling, sweet girl." Arik's words were deep in his throat as he whispered to her.

The Halfling placed a firm kiss on Annika's forehead, then he covered her face with the cloak. He placed her gently into the grave that he had dug beside his mother's. She looked so small. Arik said his final words of apology before he began to bury her. He could not help, but feel that it was his fault for not realizing the danger sooner. He should have known the creatures were Quarterlings. He should have made sure that she and Ro were safe from danger before he fought. He shook his head as he looked down at the fresh grave. No amount of guilt would change what happened. And he would not dwell on it any longer. He was glad that she was no longer in pain and could now be with her mother again. He believed that she was happy now. He believed that with all of his heart.

* * *

Ro understood that she was at the Tempest Court. She understood that she had been injured and had been given a Fire Rose tonic. She had been asleep for hours and it was nearly dawn. The women helping her dress were servants of the King's eldest daughter, Venna. They had been commanded to dress her to meet the King. She was to not be treated as a slave, but as one of the Fairies. The women were bitter towards her because of this status and poked and prodded her as they helped her to get ready. Every time they touched her back Ro winced. The bleeding had stopped and the wound had closed, but the scar would always remain and it would take time for the pain to subside.