Chapter Two

Ro was exhausted from the flight and even more exhausted from fighting the crowd at the baggage claim. Apparently Dublin was a popular place for tourists. The taxi driver more than confirmed her assumptions as he gave them an elaborate tour of all the hot spots for vacationers. His accent was thick and at first it was hard for Ro to understand him, but she eventually got a handle of it as they pulled up to a small cottage outside of the city.

     As the driver was pulling their luggage from the trunk a small framed woman with gray hair and glasses emerged from the house. She beamed a bright smile as she walked up to Grams with her arms out wide. Evelyn hugged her sister tightly. It had been so long since she had seen her. It almost didn't seem real. She pulled back and looked into her sister's eyes. She knew Jane was never one for emotions, but she could tell that she was just as overjoyed as she was.

     "Janie, I can't believe that you are here." Evelyn hugged her sister again. "It's so good to see you."

     Grams hugged her sister back tightly. "I know, Evie. It's good to see you too."

     Ro watched as the sisters hugged. She was so happy to see her grandmother smile. She looked carefree for a moment. Younger even. Ro felt a warmth in her chest that gave her a sense of enthusiasm for this country. This new place. She had seen so much of the scenery from the cab window and was already falling in love. She said a silent prayer that this change of surroundings would help Grams. Once Ro paid the cab driver and waved him off she approached the two sisters catching up and smiled up at her aunt.

     "Evelyn this is my granddaughter, Ro." Grams motioned towards her.

     Evelyn smiled with excitement as she hugged her long lost great niece. "Ro, I'm so happy to meet you dear. You look so much like Jossie." Ro had been told that her whole life. How much she looked like her mother. She only knew her face from pictures. She had always been smiling and that's how Ro chose to remember her. And when the day finally did come she would remember Grams the same way. Evelyn pulled back, "How was your flight?"

     It was a long flight, but Grams made sure that they sat in first class. The seats were big and comfortable enough that neither of them had trouble sleeping. Grams was well off thanks to the success of her late husband's lumber business. Luxuries like that weren't uncommon. Ro never took advantage of that though. She never asked her grandmother for anything. She was just thankful that they were in a situation where they could pay her grandmother's medical bills and have food on the table without Ro having to leave Grams to go to work.

     "It was nice, but I'm so glad to finally be here." Ro looked around the precious country cottage that resided just outside the city limits. The house was covered in vines. It was just like out of a story book. Ro could hardly believe how adorable it was. "Your home is amazing, Aunt Evelyn."

     "Oh thank you, Ro, but please call me, Aunt Evie." Evie reached down to grab one of the bags. "Come on inside. You must be ready to rest for a bit."

     Grams and Ro were more than ready to finally be able to sit and relax without hearing the sound of a baby crying or a beverage cart rolling down the aisle. As soon as she walked in Ro noticed the flower fabric covered furniture and a beautiful Persian style rug on the floor. She was afraid to step on it, but followed suit as her aunt glided across it. Ro looked around the living room to see family photos. She could only assume that they were family because she didn't recognize anyone in the photos except for her mother and father in their wedding picture that was sitting on top of an old piano in the corner.

     "Do you play Aunt Evie?" Ro asked.

     Evie chuckled, "Heavens no. My husband does." She gave her niece a quick smile and then looked towards the staircase, "Conner! Jane and Ro are here come help them with their bags."