Chapter 23: Helpless

After my phone call with Jacob, panic began to set in.  I couldn't think of a way out of this mess.  I desperately wanted to call Mark. My instructions specifically said Mark couldn't join me on the mission, but it didn't say I couldn't contact him for advice.  I dialed Marks number, and held the phone to my ear, my hand nervously trembling.   Each ring seemed to drag on for minutes.  I wasn't even sure what I was going to say to my brother.  As much as I wanted to ask for help, that was not an option.  After what seemed like forever, approximately five rings, Mark's voice mail picked up.  Still not quite sure what I was going to say, I hung up. 

Helpless!  That's what I felt.  The Operation had Sue physically, and me, mentally.  Either I did as I was being forced, and kill Harvey Dunn, or they would kill Sue. My anxiety started to build, breathing became difficult, and I began to sweat. I really needed my brother on this one. I wasn't prepared to take on this situation alone. I trusted Jacob Scholtz on both ends of his promise. I had faith he was treating Sue like a princess, but I knew he would kill her if I failed my mission.

I took a cold shower, and tried to calm myself down. As the chilled water trickled off my body and down the drain, all I could keep picturing in my mind was Jacob Scholtz laughing. No matter which way the following day plays out, he still wins. His business partner dies, or he gets to kill Sue. I was sure he would rather bury Harvey Dunn than kill my girl, but after seeing Jacob in action, I knew that murderous son of a bitch could just as heartlessly kill an innocent person.

As I stepped from the bathroom, my phone began to ring. I hurried to it and saw a familiar number, it was the FBI.

“Agent Whiltshire?” I assumed.

Ryan's voice confirmed I was right. “Joe! Sorry I missed your call earlier. What's going on?”

“They took her, they took Sue, and they want me to kill somebody, tomorrow night. Jacob Scholtz said if I don't do it he will kill her.” I spoke fast, obviously upset.

“Slow down Joe, tell me what happened.” He sounded so calm, but then again, it wasn't his life being destroyed.

I took as deep a breath as I could, and began, “This morning, when I woke up, my girlfriend Sue, she was gone. Her phone, keys, her car, everything but her, is still here at my house. Then, Officer Dan Healy came to my door...he gave me another package.”

Agent Whiltshire listened patiently to my story, occasionally making a noise to assure me he was still listening, 'Mmm hmm,' as he apparently wrote down notes. I explained the contents of the package and the phone call I received from Jacob, and that the target wasn't my friend Trae Wilson, but his business colleague, Harvey Dunn.

At the mention of the name Harvey Dunn, Agent Whiltshire suddenly interrupted, “Harvey Dunn?”

“Yeah...Jacob said he was a business associate.”

Ryan chuckled at my statement. “Harvey Dunn is a piece of trash, a low life crook. We've been following him for a couple of years now...as a matter of fact, it was Harvey Dunn that lead us to the Operation in the first place. At first, we thought he was the leader of the Operation, but after Agent Tullis went under cover, we soon learned that Harvey was answering to someone.”

“Someone? You mean Jacob Scholtz right?”