Chapter 10: Your First Assignment

November 27th 2005 7:46am

We awoke just as we had fallen asleep. Our bodies molded to one another. I had forgotten we were on a waterbed. When I started to move, the bed moved with me and gave me the sensation of falling. Sue sat up unaffected and looked back at me as I gripped the sheets and edge of the bed. She laughed and headed to the bathroom. I rolled off of the wave pool and stretched, wondering what this day had in store for me.

I washed my hands and face. I met Sue down stairs at the kitchen table, we ate cereal. The events of the previous night seemed as if they had happened days ago, not mere hours. After breakfast we returned to her bedroom and we made love for the second time, as if it would be our last.

Sue drove me home. She had to work for a few hours and she also had an essay to write for her Economics class, which was due the following day. We arrived at my house, said our good-byes and I promised her I would call her soon.

My car was gone. Only char marks on the asphalt driveway remained. As Sue drove away, I walk toward the front door. My legs felt heavy, my feet were sore and my jaw ached. My day had hardly even begun and I was ready for it to be over.

As I approached the door with my key in hand, I saw the package. A thick envelope, rested against my door step. I knew right away it was from my new employers; The Operation. Reluctantly I picked it up and hurried inside.

I sat and stared at the package for at least ten minutes before finally opening it. I dumped the contents onto the kitchen table. There were three envelopes within. One was small. It contained a key with the number '619' engraved on it. The second envelope was standard letter size. I opened it and removed the paper. It was a note. I unfolded it took a deep breath before reading it:

DEAR MR. WAYNE, I AM PLEASED TO HEAR OF YOUR RECENT DECISION TO WORK FOR ME. YOU HAVE ENSURED YOUR FAMILY'S SAFETY. YOUR EMPLOYMENT WILL START TODAY.

FOR YOUR FIRST ASSIGNMENT YOU MUST RETREIVE A BRIEFCASE. YOU WILL NEED TO FIND A MAN BY THE NAME OF JACOB SCHOLTZ. THE BRIEFCASE WILL BE HAND-CUFFED TO HIS WRIST. MR. SCHOLTZ IS STAYING AT THE LOCAL HYATT HOTEL IN ROOM 214. ONCE YOU HAVE THE BRIEFCASE, GIVE IT TO THE WOMAN BEHIND THE CHECK-IN COUNTER AT THE HOTEL.

BE WARNED, MR. SCHOLTZ HAS TWO ARMED GUARDS WITH HIM AT ALL TIMES. USE THE MONEY TO PURCHASE WHATEVER YOU NEED TO GET THE JOB DONE. THE KEY IS TO A LOCK BOX AT YOUR LOCAL POST OFFICE, USE IT. YOU HAVE UNTIL 3:00PM TODAY. SUCCEED AND YOU WILL BE ONE STEP CLOSER TO YOUR FREEDOM. GOOD LUCK MR. WAYNE.

SINCERELY, - H

The third envelope was thick, it contained a large stack of bills; $20's, $50's and $100's, all together a total of $2500. I had never held that much cash in my hands at once. I put the key and the money in my pocket and immediately called Ryan Wiltshire.

"Agent Wiltshire", Ryan answered.

"Hi, it's Joseph Wayne." I formally identified myself.

"Mr. Wayne. How are you this lovely morning?" He seemed awfully cheerful.

"Not so good sir. I just received my first assignment from The Operation." I informed.

"So soon? They usually don't contact people for at least a week. They like to make you forget all about them and then BAM! They slap you in the face with reality. So, who do they want you to kill?" The agent laughed.

I didn't find it very funny, "Have you ever heard of a man named Jacob Scholtz."

"Heard of him? Who hasn't? Jacob Scholtz is a multi-millionaire. He owns hundreds of companies, restaurants, malls... you name it, he probably owns it."

"They want me to steal his briefcase."

"That won't be an easy task. He keeps it cuffed to his wrist at all times."

"I've heard."

"Did you know he's also protected by armed body guards?" Ryan asked.

"Yeah, I know."

"Well the guards are the least of your worries." The agent promised.

"Great, the two guys with guns are the least of my worries."

"Jacob Scholtz is ex-special forces. He has a 5th degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do. He could kill you with two fingers."

It just kept getting better. "I don't think I can do this." I expressed my doubts.

"Joe, you can do anything you put your mind to. Think of it this way; you are protecting your family and family is the most important thing. You must do whatever you have to do, to get the job done. This is the real world Joe and in the real world its kill, or be killed."

Agent Wiltshire's pep talk helped, a little. "I'll figure out something." I didn't sound so sure.

"Good luck Joe." Ryan hung up.

With less than six hours before my deadline I was in serious need of a plan. I called Mark.

(Who wants More?  Leave feedback so I know.)