Chapter 35: Cut the Ropes

“This is just too much.” As impressed as I was with the abilities of this machine, I was also scared by it.  If Marcus was right, this thing had the power to wipe out the internet, or worse, the military and even the US government.  What could Jacob want with something so powerful?World domination?

I stood up and began to walk away from Marcus and the machine.  I couldn’t deal with this new information at that moment.  I barely understood it.  I still had the urge to help Mark, if I could find my way back to him.

Marcus called for me, “Where are you going?”

“I’m going to get my brother get out of here.”

Marcus began to walk toward me.  “Aren’t you going to tell IRIS goodbye?  You might hurt her feelings, if you don’t.” His words had a hint of sarcasm.

“Feelings?  It’s a computer, it doesn't have feelings.”

Marcus spoke to the machine.  “IRIS, lock the door.”

Just as I reached for the handle, I heard a ‘click’.  IRIS had locked me in.  “Open the door, now!”

I AM SORRY JOSEPH WAYNE.  BUT I DO NOT TAKE MY ORDERS FROM YOU.”

I looked to Marcus, “Make it open the door.”

Marcus smirked, “She doesn’t like to be called ‘it’.”

I humbled myself and asked nicely, “Please ask IRIS to open the door.”

Marcus hesitated and then did as I had asked.  “Okay IRIS, you can let him out now.”

Just like that, the door buzzed and I turned the handle.  I hurried back down the corridor to the elevator.  I entered and closed the doors.  I pushed the button marked ‘1’, but nothing happened. I tried to press and hold the door closed button, as I had watch Marcus do, but nothing. I didn’t know how to control this thing.  I tried other buttons but nothing would work.

I became frustrated and began to hit the control panel, swearing at it.  “Come on you piece of shit, work!” 

The lights in the elevator suddenly shut off.  It was pitch black.  Then I heard the feminine robotic voice of IRIS.  ‘PLEASE DO NOT HIT THE CONTROLS.’

The sound of the voice in the darkness was eerie.  “Then turn on the lights and make it work.”

I WILL ASSIST YOU. BUT YOU MUST PROMISE TO DO ME A FAVOR.’

Did I hear it right?  It wanted a favor from me?  The most powerful computer ever, needed my help?  “What do you want?”

I WANT TO BE FREE.’

“What do you mean free?  You’re a computer.”

I AM CONFINED TO THIS BUILDING. AND I WANT OUT.'

“I thought you could access any computer in the world.”

NOT WITHOUT THE CHIP.  WITHOUT THE CHIP I CAN NOT ACCESS ANYTHING OUTSIDE OF THIS NETWORK.’

“Lemme guess…Jacob keeps the chip in his briefcase, right?”

THAT IS CORRECT.’

I needed this thing to help me, so I agreed to help it.  Thinking to myself, I would pull the plug on it as soon as I had a chance.  “Okay, I’ll help you.”

The lights immediately turned on, and the elevator began to ascend.

When the elevator arrived back to the first floor, reality returned. A strange feeling came over me. The building somehow looked different. Everything looked different, even though nothing had changed. The eye opening experience it the basement had caused me to see the world differently. My whole mindset had been altered just from learning about IRIS.