Epilogue

In the weeks that followed our release from the hospital, we were contacted by the FBI and the trial arrangements were made for my testimonial. I followed Ryan Whiltshire's wishes and lied while on the stand.  The man known as Tanus was sentenced to life in prison. Following the lengthy trial, several of the Operations employees were incarcerated as well.  Over a dozen of their headquarters, just like the one under the Convention Center,  had been seized.

I don't feel bad about lying.  Many people lost their lives because of the Operation.  My life was nearly ruined by them.  In my book, they got what they deserved.  As far as the ones that haven't been captured yet, it's only a matter of time before those still at large pay for their decision of living a life of crime.  I believe in the justice system, and I believe that, in the end, justice will be served.

Of all the things I saw and experienced, there is still one that leaves my mind running in circles.  Night and day, I constantly think about it.  I've hunted the depths of my brain in search of the answers to the questions that seemingly have no answers.   Perhaps the only one that can answer them, is the one the questions concern; IRIS.  What are you?  Where are you? What is your purpose?  Why were you created?  I have many, many more; far to many to list.   As with most things, I figure, if it is meant to be, then one day I will learn the truth about IRIS.  Until then, I guess my imagination will have to suffice.

There's not much more to tell...As it was mentioned at the beginning of the story, my family was placed in hiding. At first it was tough trying to remember to call each other by our new names.  Everyone was given completely new background profiles, all with new dates and details to remember; birthdays, anniversaries, and other important dates you should know about your own life.  Elementary schools, high schools, teachers and friends names to remember. Memories that we never knew, had to be drilled into our minds; they had to become second nature.  We were advised to forget our previous lives and to embrace our new lives as if we had always lived them.  We all break the rules on occasion; sometimes while Sue and I are alone, she'll whisper 'I love you Joe' into my ear.  I would playfully look to her and respond, 'I love you too, but who the the Hell is Joe?"

After a month with our new identities, each of us were taken to a secret goverment facility and given a polygraph test.  The US Marshals Service tested us on our new lives to ensure that we not only had all of the facts straight, but that we believed them as well. The phony lives that were created are extremely in-depth and full of intricate details. It's actually quite a lot to remember.

Over the past three years, each of us have adjusted to our new lives, as best we could.  Some took longer than others. Sometimes, we get so caught up in pretending, we forget that we're not really the people we say we are. But, I guess it's not really as bad as it sounds, we still have each other and I for one believe that our experiences with the Operation, although terrifying and life changing, brought us all a little closer together. I never had an appreciation for life, at least, not the way I do now. I am grateful for the lessons I have learned and I feel blessed for every second I am able to spend with my family.