Chapter 9: Mean Girls and Popcorn

Emily blasted music throughout her house as we baked cookies in her large kitchen. I wasn't fully there though, my mind was somewhere else. Emily was dancing around the kitchen, trying to get me to do the same, but it wasn't working. Those words Eli said hurt. And whether I wanted to believe it or not, I knew he was right.

This wasn't my life, or my family. I was just a messed up kid living a fairytale. In a year, I would be out of this house and on my own in the world. I didn't know what would happen to me, considering the fact that I had no one. no family. no Eli.

I sat down at Emily's kitchen table and buried my face in my arms. I could hear her feet shuffle as she moved across the kitchen and turned the radio off. Then she sat down in the chair beside me. I didn't look up at her. Emily and Eli and Keegan were the closest id ever felt to real friends. They showed me in only a few weeks the meaning of friendship and how to be truly happy.

"he didn't mean it Chlo" Emily said softly. Her voice was calm, but I knew she wasn't use to these girl talks. Like myself, Emily was new at this. I guess she was so use to being close with the guys, she'd never really had a girl friend.

When we got to her house she gave me some clothes to change into and made tea for the both of us and let me tell her everything. It felt good that for once I could finally get everything off my chest. I'd never had someone to go to when I had a problem, but now I had Emily.

"You weren’t there" I told her "you didn't hear the sincerity in his voice Em"

She sighed and looked me directly in the eyes.

"Listen Chloe" she said to me, "I know Eli better than anyone, and I know he didn't mean it. He says these things all the time. To everyone. He use to take out his anger on me, especially when his parents fought, telling me I didn't understand because my parents are divorced. He never really considered the fact that they use to fight. He says them to make himself feel better, not realizing he's hurting others. He's been getting better though, but sometimes he goes back into that dark hole he dug for himself. It kills me to watch him do this to himself, but he'll be okay"

"I don’t know Em" I told her "he meant it. I could tell"                                                         

But before she could respond, the doorbell rang. Emily stood up and peaked into the hallway to check who it was.

"If he really meant it" she started "then why is he standing outside my door with roses?"

I stood up and walked over to the front door where I saw Eli standing at the door, shuffling side to side while looking at his feet. In his hand was a bouquet of white roses. I looked at him before opening the glass door a bit

"Do I look like the type of girl who would want roses?" I said to him, not being able to hold back the smile that was growing on my face. The whole argument that had happened earlier suddenly erased from my memory.

"No" he said "that’s why I got white instead of red."

I smiled at him. Though I was mad at him, what Emily said had helped. I’m sure he didn't really mean anything he said. The past year has been difficult on him. I opened the door more and slipped outside, shutting Emily's door behind me.

"I’m sorry Chloe" he said, looking into my eyes "I’m really sorry. I...I was just mad at my parents fighting and I took it out on you. I never meant that I swear. I didn't think- I wasn't thinking. I-I never meant to hurt you. I'd never hurt you Chloe. I’m sorry. I really am. I-"

"Eli" I interrupted, he looked up at me "it’s alright. I mean, it hurt, I’m not going to lie but I understand. You were mad at your parents. But next time, please don’t take it out on me, because I might not forgive you. Understand?"