Chapter 8: Parties and Fights

So usually I don’t like to leave messages at the beginning of the story so sorry about this, but I wanted to apologize for not updating for 3 weeks! I feel absolutely terrible! Anyways, I’m going to update as often as possible now, so hopefully I won’t have another long break from writing :) 

So enjoy the story! 

“You look fine Chloe” Emily urged, but I still played with the ribbon around my waist, trying to make it look perfect. I wanted to look absolutely perfect for Eli’s sister’s engagement party. I knew it wasn’t the first time I was meeting Eli’s family, but last time I was not being introduced as his friend, I was being introduced as his date.

Emily was wearing a black pencil skirt and a white blouse tucked in. I, on the other hand, was wearing a black dress with a white bow in front of it. We both looked awesome. I had tried to convince Susan to let me wear a dress from my closet, but when Emily informed her that I was going as his date, she took us to the mall and we both bought new dresses.

“Ready girls?”  Susan asked. We nodded. It wasn’t just the kids who were going, all of the Reeve’s were. Since Susan and Melissa had been friends since they were kids, the families were very close. The family piled into the van, along with Emily, who tagged along with us since her older sister Charlotte was already at Eli’s helping Hailey and Melissa prepare for the company.

“I’ve only met Justin once” Susan was saying, when we started talking about Hailey’s fiancée. “Nice boy. Doesn’t talk much though.”

“He was probably nervous mom” Keegan said “considering you’re the one who approves of all of Hailey’s boyfriends”

“Well” she said “Hailey was around before all of you crazies. We have a special bond”

“We know mom” Shay said dramatically “you say that all the time!”

Everyone giggled at shay, though she didn't understand why. Just the way she said that was adorable. We pulled into Eli’s driveway and parked the car behind another. It almost looked like parking on the side of the road in the city. It made me wonder how many people were actually here.

We all hopped out of the van and walked into the house, which was packed with strangers, whom all seemed t know Susan. I stood their awkwardly as she introduced me to her dearest friends from high school and other places. Everyone seemed to know my mom, which irritated me. These people were strangers to me. If anything, I should know my mother, not them.

“I recognise you” a woman’s voice said once I was alone. I turned around to see a girl with blond curly locks and bright blue eyes.

“I don’t know how,” she continued “but you look so familiar”

“I work at Sophie’s” I replied. “Maybe you stopped in for coffee?”

She shook her head “no that’s not it” she stared at me and thought for a minute or so. Just as I was about to leave, she smiled.

“Lori” she said “you’re Lori Even’s girl, aren’t you?”

I nodded. Of course I was her daughter, though I liked to pretend I didn't even have a mother. It was better that way. I felt less abandoned.

“Is she here?” she asked curiously “I haven’t seen that girl since high school!”

“No” I told her “I haven’t seen her in fourteen years”

“I’m so sorry” she said to me. Her face showed it too “I didn't know.”

“Its okay” I said with a reassuring smile “I don’t really mind. If I knew her, it would be a different story, but I got over it a long time ago”