Chapter 19: Home

I am proud to say we are getting close and I am going to be writing like a maniac to get this done! Enjoy please vote and comment! I do want to do well in the watty awards! 

                                                ~Rose

Chapter 19: Home

After Moorwin and I’s creation of Dragonglass Elijah deemed me ready for war. I still recall his words as clear the air we breathe.

“You are ready.” His words were curt and blunt, and they shocked me to the core. For a long while I said nothing at all. He left me to my own thoughts as they played out horrible scenarios of the siege upon the castle. The mass amount of people would be needed to outnumber the King’s guards. Who would follow me? A lowly girl seeking revenge upon the King, an usurper.

“Stop worrying Ariya, you already posses’ people who will follow you even if it means death. While we talked to Rowan I heard rumors of revolts throughout Laymeria, people are sick of the King’s blindness to the fall of a once great kingdom, he is putting everyone at risk by his hate. He has become crueler, even to his closet court members.” Elijah told me returning from leaving me alone to think.

“What aren’t you telling me?” I grilled him standing abruptly sneering in his face.

“I heard other rumors,”

“What other rumors.” I snapped.

“That the King plans to wed your sister Violet within the fortnight.” Anger surged within me, my hands flashing in dragonfire, it incased my hands crawling its way up to my elbows, my entire forearm was incased in flame. “Ariya, the sooner you attack the sooner she can be saved and so can the rest of Laymeria. You are their hope.”

“I know.” I replied the flames extinguishing themselves. Each word he spoke only added to the weight upon my already heavy shoulders. So many needed so much of me, sometimes it grew too much to bear that I quickly snapped to those who were just trying to help me. Planning a battle exhausted me, not even fighting it.

We decided to head out at dawn on the morrow. Elijah told me to get a goodnights rest, but any sleep I obtained was plagued with nightmares that woke me in a cold sweat. After that I was too afraid to fall asleep for it would only be futile.

In the end the cabin became to claustrophobic, I kicked my legs free of the blankets incasing them. Quietly I exited the cabin out into the brisk morning. Even though spring was near the air was still chilly without the sun’s warmth. Dawn was on the cusp of arrival as I stared into the endless darkness of the vast sky.

Walking out from under the small cover porch I spotted a few grain barrels pressed up against a post that made up the horse pen. With the wind picking up instead of returning to the cabin’s warmth I wedged myself between two concealing myself.

I was a tight fit but for once the world didn’t feel quite so big. Here in this secluded niche I was all alone without anyone’s problems besides my own, an escape. If only for a short time but an escape none the less. Turning my palm to the sky, dragonfire sparked to life. It radiated warmth tickling my palm. Smiling, it was a curious thing, fire. It was something so innocent so pure, raw beauty and life roared in its embers. Fire is relentless just like man, burning with life fire, but just like flames we are easily extinguished. We are extremely delicate for how strong we believed we were. With my other hand I let my fingers wave through the flames unharmed.  

“Ariya?” Elijah called. Looking up he was peering over the barrels.

“I couldn’t sleep.”