Chapter 8: Murder

And a dedication to IAM_ALLY i wanted to do two! 

Chapter 8: Murder

Traveling in the darkness was a bit frightening but being close to Dimitri helped diminish my fears. I kept my hand interlaced with his in fear of being lost in the darkness; I didn’t like it. It was a dark foreboding feeling, I wasn’t a person of darkness, I always took comfort in the light its warmth, its ability to shed light in even the darkest places.

I soon spotted light at the end of the tunnel. Dimitri quickened his pace just like me he seemed on edge in the tunnel.

“The tunnels are wildly convenient but still set me on edge.” Dimitri shivered; I nodded in agreement. Just liked he’d said two horses were tied to a post nearby. The tunnel had dumped us just outside the castle walls to the left of the main exit. But we were far enough around the curve that no one had seen us exit the tunnel; it was in an alley.

The horses were non descript bays; but what surprised me more was the fact that the horses were saddled in plain well loved saddles not the fancy embellished ones the royal stables usually kept.

“You really don't want anyone to know we sneaked out do you?” I asked shamefully; was it that bad for him to be seen with me.

“Hey Ariya; it’s not you it’s my dad. I don't know something is bothering him I know it; but I don't know what it is, and somehow pertains to you.” He replied thoughtfully. This time I was the one to shiver. Why would the king be thoughtful pertaining to a girl from the outskirts? Emera popped into my mind and the egg but I quickly pushed them from my mind. 

“Let’s just get out of here.” I said quickly hoping to defuse the topic all together.

“Alright then let’s go; I don’t know how much longer I can take being around a boring Ariya.” Dimitri laughed mounted the nearest bay. I chuckled at his dry humor but he was right I was boring Ariya. Walking past him I mounted the slightly paler bay swiftly. Not waiting for Dimitri I nudged the bay into a trot.

“HEY!” Dimitri laughed. Smiling I didn’t slow; if he wanted to stay together he needed to quicken his pace. I was tired of changing my pace for other; now it was my turn. I made sure to have my hood up as we walked through the capitol to the outskirts. My blazing hair was a dead giveaway for who I was; and everyone knew it, even Dimitri took a hood. He also too often showed his face with the royal guard on his way to the Red Wood. 

We moved silently through the city hoping to not draw any unnecessary attention. Once we reached the very edge of the town I had a spark of old memories. Memories of Lady and I flying across the expanse. But then a dark memory tainted it; letting Mama go. It was one of the hardest things I had to do; but it had to be done.

Needing to clear my head I pushed the bay up and into a canter; and again I was flying. It wasn’t quite the same sensation that I felt with Lady; but it was enough to sustain my hunger for it. The pounding of hoof beats quickly came in sync with my bays. Turning my head I saw Dimitri he was in pace with me.

For a second we held each other’s gazes; his eyes bore into mine as if he was searching for something. Feeling uncertain under his studious gaze I looked away ahead to the approaching Red Wood. A wood I had so long taken comfort in; a wood I didn’t think I would share with anyone else.

As soon as hit the tree line I slowed my horse into a slow walk Dimitri followed suit. We rode in silence; it was nice to only hear the chattering of nature. Not the gossip filled chatter of many of the Ladies and Duchesses who lived within the castle walls. I relished in the calm cooling noises of nature; they seemed to relax me in ways many things couldn’t.