Chapter 12: The Future

I know this is short but bare with me, it will pick back up soon. There will be some time jumping coming up. Vote, comment, fan! 

                                                              ~Rose

Chapter 12: The Future

“Whatever help you require we are at your service.”  Morroe spoke honestly. Both Dalence and Jonah nodded their agreement. I smiled broadly at their quick acceptance.

“Thank you, deeply. I mean every word I say to you and will try to free this chained country with my life. But I do have to ask you to promise me one thing.”

“Anything,” Jonah spoke his voice deep.

“Protect my sister, if I die in the process please save her. She doesn’t deserve any of this, she is only thirteen.” I said missing my sister thoughts of her constantly battered my mind.

“Of course,” replied Dalence before the final words had even left my lips.

“Again thank you,”

“Come on men, its time to leave our guest to rest.” Morrow piped up beginning to stand. The three men collected their things, Dalence and Jonah had left but Morroe told me one last thing before he left. “Dinner is at seven.”

With that it was only Katarina and I left in the grandiose tent. Getting up from her position in the corner she came up to me sitting in the chair at my left. We sat in silence for a few minutes. Disregarding Samuel and Dimitri I didn’t have very many friends. I’d maybe had one or two when I was in school but we lost contact when I left to provide for my family. Most understood others thought it wasn’t a women’s place to earn money.

“So, would you like to accompany me to dinner this lovely evening Milady?” Katarina said her words oozing faux interest.

“Of course gypsy girl,” I replied bantering back with her. Even in school not many of my friends were girls, I liked to get dirty and play rough with the boys they didn’t.

“Alright then,” She smiled broadly showing white teeth.

“I’ve got a question for you,” I said unsure of how to phrase this. “Do you by chance still have those riding leathers you guys found me in?”

“Yes, I just thought you would be more comfortable in these while you slept. They are over her if you’d like to change.”

“Yeah, dresses aren’t really what I prefer to wear.” I chuckled sheepishly.

“Alright then, for when you sleep we make the most glorious wide leg pants that you shall adore.”

“Sounds good to me, would you like to meet Moorwin?” I asked perking up at the thought of showing these people Moorwin’s magnificence.

“Me? Meet a dragon?” she asked bewildered.

“Why not?”

“Yes!” She squealed. Getting up I went and fetched the riding leathers, quickly changing I met Katarina just outside the tent. She had adorned an animal skin coat and thin gloves.

“Pretty coat,” I smiled.

“Lennie made it for me.” Katarina shared my smile but this one took her back to a memory.

“Who’s Lennie?”

“You’ll meet him during dinner. He is my best friend.”

“Hm,” I mused before stepping completely from the tent. Pushing out my mind I called out to Moorwin willing him to appear. He quickly obeyed and landed just before us standing tall and proud.

‘Hello my son.’

‘Ariya,’

‘Moorwin I want you to meet my new friend Katarina,’ pausing “Katarina, meet Moorwin,” I spoke allowed for Katarina’s benefit. I glanced over to her, her eyes were filled with shock and wonder at the same time.

“I’ve only heard stories about dragon’s and their heirs. It’s another thing all together to see one in real life. My people knew this day would come but many predicted it wouldn’t be for thousands of years.”

“Well since the dragon heir that will help us to victory is a father and the heirs are nearly gone from Laymeria I'm surprised your people thought we wouldn’t help till things became far worse than they are now. I can’t no I don't want to imagine what Laymeria would be like in the years that follow until the King’s passing.”

“True,” she mused pursing her lips. I returned her studious look with a tenitive smile. I stroked Moorwin’s neck his presence was comforting.

“I’ll be back for dinner, all of this is a lot to think about,” I said suddenly breaking the soft silence.

“Oh, yes of course. Would you like me to get your horse?” Katarina asked.

“No,” I paused sharing a glance with Moorwin. “I'm alright.”

Saying my goodbyes to Katarina I cut across the straightaway disappearing into the woods; Moorwin following behind me. I stopped once I could no longer see the camp. The feeling gathering itself in my chest was similar to the one I’d felt in the castle after the announcement of Alex and I’s betrothal. I sensation of too much being expected of me.

My heart raced like a rabbit in my chest, sweat perspiring on my brow. Reaching out I grasped at Moorwin my hands warming as my fingers touched his flaming skin.

‘Ariya?’ He asked clearly worried. Ignoring his worry I turned to him and began to climb up his back. Gripping at the horns that protruded from his back using his wing to push myself up onto his back; the spikes were far enough apart that they were a perfect place to settle my body.

Curling my fingers around the spike before me I brushed my hand across the scales to the right of my body.

“Fly,” I said aloud. Moorwin responded instantly a growl erupting from his mouth. He spread his wings and pushed himself into the sky.