// 2 //

( I added a cast list to give an image of what the characters looked like. I might change it later if I find better roles for the characters ^_^ )
Beth looked so peaceful asleep on the hospital bed. The sheets were pale pink and complimented her exposed skin well. Her blue hospital gown wasn't put on right so I gently held her head up to fix it. Her hair was so soft. It reminded me of when I used to give Alana baths when she was little. My parents were never home because back then they ran a huge business, something about exporting and importing goods or whatever. I would sit next to the bathtub as she splashed around and read her fairy tales. Alana was very hyper and liked to move a lot so giving her a bath was a huge pain in the ass but I found the secret to calming her down; reading to her. Id get all wet and soapy sitting there, almost more then she did. When she was all cleaned up, id pull her out of the tub and wrap her in a towel. She looked like a little burrito. Her skin was so soft and delicate and I guess it really hit me every time I bathed her and was responsible for her that she needed me. I needed to protect her. Whether it was from the monster in her closet, big dogs when we walked home from school or maybe even boys when she was older but I knew that as her older brother, I had to take care of her. That's how I felt about Beth, responsible. It was my fault she was here. A single tear fell down my cheek as I softly kissed her forehead. A nurse walked in with a cart full of hospital food. She smiled at me as she handed me the tray.
"I'm guessing your her boyfriend?" She said. She didn't really give me a chance to argue. "If your a good one you can feed her yourself." She looked pleased that she was getting out of feeding Beth. I was about to protest that Beth was asleep but she was already gone. I pulled a chair next to the bed and put the tray of food on the pull out table attached to the bed. I stroked Beth's cheek wondering how to wake her up calmly.
"Beth." I said quietly. "Wake up, Beth."
It's crazy how a week ago, I wouldn't have stayed here with Beth for half as long as I've been here now. Sure, I would come to see her, Beth and I were friends. But I had a lot of friends and Beth was just another one of them. That's how it was until a couple of days ago. Now I feel like she's my only friend. She pulled me out of a burning house and there's no way I could repay her for that. The least I could do was be here and feed her. I was scared to wake her up because I didn't know how she'd react. I didn't know if they had given her something and I'd be disturbing her. So I just sat there with her, combing through her hair with my fingers. I nestled my head next to hers and, with my fingers still intertwined with her hair, I fell asleep. When I woke up, my head was on Beth's lap. She was sitting up and the nurse who brought in the food was feeding her. Beth smiled at me when she saw my eyes open. The nurse gave me an annoyed look.
"I thought I told you to feed her hours ago?" She scolded me as she scooped the last bit of pasta into Beth's mouth.
"I didn't want to wake her.." I said between yawns. The nurse didn't seem impressed. "I can feed her now if you want." I offered, sitting back in the chair and stretching my arms. The nurse looked at Beth like she was asking her permission. Beth nodded and the nurse handed me the spoon. I stood up and opened the next unopened box on the tray. Caesar salad.
"This stuff looks like shit." I made a disgusted face and Beth laughed. "If you want I can go run to McDonalds and get you a burger." She shook her head.
"It's okay, I don't want you running all over the place for me."
I smiled. "It's really okay, I don't mind."
She looked down at the salad then back at me.
"On second thought, Zane." She said mimicking the disgusted face. "I'll take the burger."
------------
I wanted to get back to the hospital before the nurse found out I had left. The McDonalds was a couple blocks away but I didn't really mind running. It was a nice day for running. It was cold but the air was fresh and cool. The McDonalds was really small. It could fit about 20 people in it max. I huffed as I walked up to the register. I was so out of breath I could barely talk.
"Two junior chickens, a large fry and a small coke please."
"Is that all?"
"Yeah. Please make it quick."
I handed the woman at the register the money and waited patiently behind an older man who was also waiting for his food. He turned around to look at me. His face drained of colour the second he saw me. I looked around in confusion. "Sir are you alright?"
"They're coming for you, boy." He said in a low voice. Then he mumbled something else that was inaudible to me. As soon as his food came he rushed out, glancing back at me a couple times as he ran out.
"Alright then." I mumbled to myself.
When my food was done, I thanked the lady and got ready to run again. I was just about to run when I saw something move in the bushes on the side of the McDonalds. I wasn't going to check it out but then I realized it was a person. I walked over and the bushes rustled again but this time the figure was gone. I spread the bushes, hoping to find some stupid little kid crouched in there but there was nothing. I looked up just in time to see the same figure running and hiding behind another building. I darted after it, turning into the alley behind the building. Nothing. I walked through the eery dark alley, searching for my stalker.
"I know your here." I yelled. "Come out and show yourself."
I heard a weird scratching sound, like someone was dragging a metal stick on the wall of the building. I covered my ears and fell to the ground. The sound was excruciating to my ears. I looked up just in time to see the faceless figure running deeper into the alleyway, almost beckoning me. The sound had given me a major headache but I pushed myself off the ground and trailed after whoever it was that was watching me. I only looked down for one second and when I looked up, the figure was gone. It was almost impossible. There was nowhere he or she could've gone. I started to panic so I just sat down to calm myself. The sound faded out and died. Then I remembered why I was even here in the first place; I was getting food for Beth. Shit. I stood up and dusted my self off. I took one more look in the other direction to see if the person was still here. Whoever it was, they were gone. I shook my head, it was stupid and pointless what I was doing. I turned around and nearly had a severe heart attack. I was standing face to face with the figure and it wasn't just anybody. It was Kendra Smith.