Chapter 14

Chapter 13 and 14 uploaded at the same time - go back to 13 if you haven't yet read that!

Hayley.

I totally have not missed those creepy black holes for eyes that stared a little too intently. Glitter nervously poofed out in clouds of yellow and silver as he shuffled closer every time I backed up a step, because there was no way I was going to be close enough to touch.

"Mmmerrgh," Dead-Eric groaned.

I nodded. "Uhuh, sure." And blinked frantically at him as he shuffled forward once more.

Tabitha nudged my arm. "What did he say?"

"Huh?" I asked, then frowned at her all while keeping Dead-Eric in my peripheral vision because even though I hadn't yet seen him move faster than his shuffle step, the minute he broke into a run and became one of those fast as fuck zombies I was going to kill him dead-dead because that was literally a nightmare come to life. "Oh, not a clue," I shrugged.

Tabitha huffed. "You are ridiculous."

"Hey!" I scowled at her. "Who the heck understands zombie anyway?"

She rolled her eyes and very quickly adopted that bored expression that she seemed to love so much.

"Hey, Dead-Eric." I gave him a nervous wave. "So...did you happen to see my dragon anywhere because he was supposed to collect you and yet here you are, without him, being your usual creepy self."

Dead-Eric sighed. "Mmergh."

I frowned. "This is harder than I want it to be."

"Perhaps there is someone who does speak zombie?" Tabitha questioned.

"Maybe Grams. She might actually be half-dead, never can be too sure with the old ones," I shrugged. Dead-Eric seemed to be getting a little frustrated, his skinny, blackened fingers twisting into fists and that shuffle-step becoming more of a shuffle-stomp whenever I refused to look at him.

"Mmmerrgh!" He shouted, as if that would magically make me understand him.

I threw my hands up. "What?! It's not my fault that I don't understand your grunts."

His caved in cheeks managed a decent puff of air as he growled in exasperation. His head turned and scanned the crowd that gathered in whispers behind me, probably keeping their distance because, you know, zombie.

Sane people keep away from the walking dead. That's just fact. Only ancient evil witches bother with corpses, well, those and the witches that come from a long line of crazy.

Speak of the devil...

"Oh, excellent, you found Dead-Eric. Can we go now, there's people, and talking, and smiling. I'm uncomfortable," Serena huffed while quickly appearing at my side and sending Tabitha a rather scathing look.

I giggled softly with utter glee - my fire-witch was so transparent in her jealously.

"Who's this?" She sniffed. "And can we get rid of her?"

Tabitha answered for me. "You first, Second-Troll."

"The fuck she calling a troll?" Serena fumed.

I rolled my eyes and shrugged. "It's her thing apparently. Serena, this is my elf half-sister Tabitha. Tabitha, this is my best friend and fire-witch Serena," I introduced them, ignoring Dead-Eric's frantic shaking of his hands and the shuffle-stomp for attention.

The two females eyed each other warily, quite obviously sizing one another up for weakness.

"She's tall," Serena sniffed managing to make it sound like both a flat statement and an off-hand insult.