Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight:

“So, my dear little friend, what are you writing there?”

                I look up with a shocked expression to see Patrick smirking at me. Why was he bothering me? Didn’t he have anything else to do? Oh, I guess he didn’t. I looked around me and saw that Leo had gone off somewhere.

                “Are you writing a letter about your incredible love for me?”

                I made a face as I turned back to him. “Ew. Heck no! If you’re so eager for a freaking love letter, why don’t you go ask your fan girls?”

                He laughed and then ruffled my hair. He went back to sit on his armchair, facing me once again. It was like thirty minutes after he left to talk to Leo Anderson, his best friend. And I was halfway with my drawing of what I think was a castle.

                Suddenly, my notebook disappeared from under me. I glared up at Patrick who was holding it up to his face. I went to stand.

                “Wow, remind to never—and I mean ever—ask you to draw for me during Arts.” He glanced up from the top of notebook when he said this. I shook my head and rolled my eyes as I reached for my notebook.

                “Whatever, P,” I said. “Now give me back my notebook.”

                He was about to reply when the bell rang for lunch. Then he had this way too mischievous grin on his face. Just as I realized what he was going to do, he had already picked up his bag and shoved it in Leo’s face on the way out the door, telling him to hold it for a while.

                I groaned and then quickly picked up my bag and threw it at Jo, saying the same thing. I barely heard her affirmation because I was already halfway out the door. If Patrick wanted a chase, he’s getting one.

                “Patrick! Give me my notebook!” I yelled over the wave of students. I faintly heard him shout back that I had to catch him first. “Oh, it’s on, you idiot!”

                Then I ran…well more like power walked.

                “Everyone get out of the way if you don’t want to be injured!” I yelled as I closed in on Patrick. My bet was that he was giving me a chance…or there were just people in the way. “Move it!”

                But then he suddenly moved faster. I groaned as I picked up the pace as well. People were heading towards the cafeteria and that thought made my stomach growl.

                “Come on, Patrick! I’m starving over here!” He laughed but still continued running through the halls.

                I pushed myself to run faster and quieter. Soon, I was running directly behind him. I counted from one to three on my head and on the last number, I jumped. Patrick did not see that coming.

                “Ah!” He shouted as I fell on top of him. He ended up eagle-spread on the floor with me sitting on him. My notebook lay a few feet away from him.

                I patted his face as I got up, saying, “Oh, I so did catch you, Walker.”

                I was about to pick up the notebook when Patrick’s hand shot up right behind mine and got to it first. I quickly turned around but then he was holding it high up above his head.