Chapter One

Chapter One:

“Ms. Taylor,” Mrs. Willis, my homeroom teacher, said, “your place is beside Ms. Sanchez at the second to the last row at the back.”

                Her soft red curls bounced as she sat up straighter on her teacher’s rotating chair. Hey, I didn’t know what to call it. She fixed her brown eyes on me, giving me a small smile.

                “Okay, thanks,” I said as I hitched my bag higher up my shoulder. “I don’t suppose there are any new students that have V family names who transferred, huh?”

                Mrs. Willis smiled. She knew why I was asking but she still didn’t give me good news. “No, sorry, Cassie,” she said apologetically.

                “That’s okay.”

                I ran a hand through my long brown hair as I made my way to the back to sit beside the new girl who looked really nervous. I can’t blame her. Moving to a new neighborhood and then going to a new school can do that.

                I dropped my bag beside my chair and then plopped down. I was hoping he would be absent today because he just arrived last night from their trip. But I knew that was practically impossible.

                The Walker family arrived at eight in the evening so that gave him enough time to sleep. Damn it.

                “Ah, Mr. Walker,” I looked up as soon as Mrs. Willis said his name. His dark brown hair was slightly messy. He must’ve been running. “Welcome to your senior classroom. I’m pretty sure you know where your place already is. There weren’t any new students except for Ms. Sanchez.”

                Patrick smiled at our teacher. “Thanks, Mrs. Willis. I hope you had a happy vacation.”

                “I did. It was just like old times.”

                I scoffed under my breath. I guess he’s beginning to start the whole ‘teacher’s pet’ façade. I have to admit, that was one of the good ways to earn brownie points. But I wasn’t doing that—ever.

                “Hi, my name’s Jo Sanchez,” The new girl said, smiling. “It’s short for Joanna.”

                I turned to her and assessed her discreetly. She had straight black hair and dark brown eyes. She didn’t look like one of those b—I mean, witches, that ruled the school. She looked like one of those average ‘I-moved-away-from-the-only-home-I’ve-ever-known’ girls,

                “Hey, I’m Cassie Taylor,” I said, smiling back. She looked nice after all.

                She looked around the classroom before turning back to me. “Your school is really big.”

                I didn’t know how to respond to that so I just shrugged and said, “Yeah, I guess it is. But they need all the space if they’re going to have elementary students on the same campus.”

                “I’ve only ever went to school that had only grades nine to twelve.”

                Before I could respond, Patrick plopped into the seat on my right side. He dropped his bag in front of him and then leaned towards my chair. “Hey, Cassie,” he said to me, smiling. “It looks like we’re together again.”

                “Yeah,” I said, agreeing, “unfortunately.”

                This made him smirk and ruffle my hair. I shot him a look and then punched his shoulder. Just because we’ve been seatmates for twelve freaking years doesn’t mean we’re that cozy with each other.