Chapter 30

They changed for dinner and then went down to start the finishing touches. There was a knock on the door at precisely seven o’clock. Jonny raised one eyebrow and gave her one of his infuriating smirks. She crossed the room to him but he caught hold of her and turned her round.

‘I think you should welcome your guests.’ He told her. ‘After all, it’s your house.’ He kissed her nose and propelled her away.

They were all on the doorstep. Jonny’s brothers and sister, their partners and Lily. They were carrying bunches of flowers and chocolates. Bottles! They grabbed her into them and cuddled and kissed her. They were so loving.

‘It’s not alcoholic, darling Bea.’ Caro whispered in her ear. ‘None of us drink anymore around Jonny. It’s not fair.’ Caro squeezed her tight. There was so much love and laughter. They followed Bea into the dining room and enveloped Jonny with all their joy and love.

Jonny, his brothers and brother in law Diurmed sat down and Caro, Patrick’s wife Maria and Liam’s wife Theresa all followed Bea into the kitchen and immediately began helping her.

‘Jonny!’ called Bea. ‘Are you going to carve and do gravy?’ They heard a gale of laughter as Jonny finished one of his outrageous stories.

‘Coming sweetheart.’ He called to her. He started the gravy then handed over to Caro.

‘Keep stirring – don’t let it burn and NO LUMPS!’ he laughed at her and Bea’s expressions; he had yet to find out how she proposed dealing with him in front of his family should he be that foolish. He proceeded to carve the joint. It was like a conveyor belt and soon everyone was seated at the table.

It was the most wonderful evening. Great food and delightful company. Jonny was in his element. He loved being with his family and they adored him. But he looked to Bea constantly. His eyes followed her, glowing with love. Bea was praised for the excellent first course. Jonny rose and made the custard and the two puddings were brought in. Jonny had to have a serving of each, just as she had known he would and, as with the first course, plates were scraped clean.

When the meal was over Jonny rose.

‘Patrick, Liam, Diurmed.’ he ordered and they all rose and cleared the table and did the washing up and drying and putting away.

Bea almost protested but Caro shook her head no at her. This was how things were done in their family. The boys always cleared away and did the washing up after family meals. Jonny always made sure that they did. They came back with coffee. Jonny put Bea’s cup beside her. He bent into her and she kissed his cheek.

‘Thank you sweetheart.’ she said. He took her hand and raised it to his lips and kissed it. They were all moved by his act of such tender, devoted love. Jonny sat beside her.

‘Now for the serious bit.’ he told them. ‘I want you all to understand that this is Bea’s home now. Bea’s and mine. We weren’t sure that we would be able to live in mama’s house – so many memories.’ He had to stop for a moment and they all saw how he gripped Bea’s hand for comfort and what love and compassion she gave him.

He gathered himself up again and shook Bea’s hand gently and smiled at her.

‘But we do want to. And Bea has to make it her home. Not to erase mama’s memory, but because it is going to be our home now. So there will have to be some changes made…..’

‘Of course you must, Bea.’ said Caro softly, gently. ‘I couldn’t…… none of us…. could live with another woman’s things and feel it was our home. We are so glad to have you as part of our family, darling Bea. You must do whatever you want, none of us will mind.’