Chapter 22

Graham was reading the paper but Jonathon noticed he had filled the coal scuttle.

‘Remind me to do that for the one in the bedroom?’ asked Jonathon, nodding towards it.

‘Sure. Anything else need doing?’

‘Better ask Bea. I’m just going to lay the table for breakfast and make a pot of tea.’

‘Need a hand?’

‘No, you’re a guest…’ Jonathon stopped abruptly at the look on Graham’s face. He’d done it again.

‘No…sorry…. I didn’t mean it like that. It’s Bea’s home and you’re family….’

‘Jonathon.’ said Graham and Jonathon was immediately quiet – he sounded just like Bea in reproach mode. ‘Stop digging.’ Graham advised.

Jonathon gave a short laugh and nodded. He walked through to the kitchen. He filled the kettle, put it on to boil and laid the table. Bea soon joined him to start cooking their breakfast.

‘Graham! Come on, it’s ready now.’ Bea called. Graham came through and sat where Bea indicated.

‘That smells good.’ He praised. She handed Jonathon a plate and nodded towards Graham. Jonny passed it over while Bea served up another.

‘This is yours.’ She said. He put his plate on the table opposite Graham and turned to her.

‘No, you sit down and get started, I’ll bring mine over.’ She said and he went and sat down.

‘How do you do it, Bea?’ asked Graham when they were all sat down eating their full English breakfast.

‘Do what?’

‘Well, you never used to eat a big cooked breakfast like this and far from putting on weight you’ve lost quite a bit.’

‘I’m getting a lot more exercise…. Jonathon!’ she reproached sharply.

Jonny had suddenly convulsed and was spluttering into his table napkin. ‘Sorry, something went down the wrong way.’ he wheezed. And he coughed and coughed.

Bea got up from her chair, went behind him and slapped him hard, several times, between his shoulder blades. He raised a hand in submission.

‘It’s alright now.’ He croaked.

‘I’ll get you some water.’ said Bea. Jonny could not look at either of them. Bea handed him the glass of water. ‘Thank you, sweetheart.’ he said and gulped some down.

‘That’s alright. Sweetheart.’ she returned but the way she said it was a very obvious reprimand. He was behaving like a puerile and prurient schoolboy. She was furious with him. He caught hold of her hand and kissed it.

‘I apologise.’ he said. She inclined her head slightly and returned to her seat.

‘Well, whatever it is.’ said Graham leaning forward to his sister. ‘It suits you.’

‘Thank you, Graham.’ said Bea. Jonny shot him a glare for having pipped him in the charm stakes. Graham grinned. Jonathon continued with his breakfast.

‘This is lovely, Bea.’ he said. ‘Nothing beats home cooking.’

‘Unless it chokes you.’ She said pointedly. She wasn’t ready to let him off the hook that easily. He pressed his lips together and turned his mouth down.

‘I’ll do the dishes.’ He said by way of atonement. She shook her head; nowhere near good enough.

‘You’re already on dishwashing duties.’ she reminded him.