Chapter Thirteen

"Hi, honey!"

"Daddy!" I jump into his open arms. He picks me up and throws me into the air before catching me again. I burst out laughing.

"How was your day?"

He carries me to the kitchen and places me on the counter. I twirl my pigtails as he makes a cup of tea.

"It was okay." His face falls.

I pout. "Okay? Why not greatly-fantastically-wonderful?"

He chuckles. The frown on his face has disappeared. "Those are some big words for a four year old girl!"

I smile proudly. "Answer my question!"

He grins and walks over to me. "Because I missed you," he says, poking my belly.

I giggle. He pokes me again. I giggle again.

"Where's your mother?"

"She's napping," I whisper, even though she's on the second floor.

He grins wickedly. "Want to go wake her up?"

"Yes!" I whisper-shout.

We tip toe up the stairs. Every time he would make the stairs creak, I would shush him. Every time I giggled, he would shush me.

When we get to the double doors that open to the bedroom, I grab the left handle while he grabs the right handle. We mouth, 'one, two, three' before blasting open the doors.

Mom wakes up with a jolt. She looks around wildly before spotting us.

Immediately, I point to Daddy. "It was his idea!"

Mom glowers at him. "Andrew! Look at the example you're setting for your daughter!"

He laughs and mouth 'tattletale' to be before walking over to Mom. I stick my tongue out at his back. He sits on the bed and wraps his arms around her. "I'm sorry, Miranda."

A smile tugs at her lips. "It was kind of funny wasn't it?"

"Yes!" I yell. "You should have seen your face, Mom! It was like this!" I pull my cheeks in all directions.

Mom and Daddy both start laughing. "Is that what I looked like?" Mum asks.

"Yes!"

I pull both of my pigtails over my mouth and dance around the room to an imaginary song. My parents are holding each other and laughing at me. I love my family. It's perfect.