FIVE

FIVE Beth's not taking any of this shit.

▬▬▬ ➳ ▬▬▬

"Oh my god, why haven't you met this guy in real life yet?", Jean asked.

"I don't know." Beth simply shrugged.

"It's been, like, months... Don't you want to?"

The TV was so low it was almost on mute. Beth and Jean didn't need sound for their pizza dinner, just something – whatever – screening, while they chatted on the couch getting grease all over their chins.

"Of course I wanna meet him."

"Then ask him out already!"

"I don't know if he wants to meet me, though. He haven't said anything yet."

"Well, maybe he's out there having the exact same thought, wondering if you don't wanna meet him cause you haven't said anything yet."

"Fine. You're right."

"So, you gonna ask him?"

"Eventually." Beth smiled, and Jean rolled her eyes.

As Jean made her way to the kitchen counter to get another slice of pizza, Beth sighed.

"Besides, I've got more pressing business to worry about right now."

"Like what?" Jean came back with another already half eaten slice. "Work?"

Beth nodded, chewing.

"Asshole boss again?"

Beth swallowed and winced.

"Girl", Jean rested her hand on her knee, forcing her to meet her eyes, "can I just make a suggestion?"

"Yes, please. I am..." Beth chuckled, hopelessly "So lost."

"Ask for a transfer."

That was not what Beth expected Jean to say. At all.

"What?"

"I know there's an opening in the company's branch at New York." She stated. "It's even a better position than the one you have here. And you are an excellent employee no matter what that asshole tells you. They will approve the transfer for sure."

Beth knew Jean was probably right. If she filed for it, chances were she'd be able to move by the end to the year. No more asshole boss to put up with. At least, not that one.

"I just don't wanna leave the life I have here."

Jean put both their plates at the coffee table and hugged Beth with both arms.

"As much as I appreciate your love and you wanting to stay with me, I need you to know that your life here isn't actually that much of a life", she spoke softly, breaking up the hug, but still holding both her friend's shoulders. "You'd be so much better there, Bee."

"You're probably right."

Still, there were so many things to consider besides her friends and a potential love interest. She could file and not get the transfer. Her boss could find out and fire her.

It was a risk.

Was she willing to take it?

▬ ➳ ▬

Mickey was at a cocktail party, the third one that month. He asked Charles to stop making him go to those things, but his manager have said that there was an interview on a Late-Night Show involved. Mickey would have to play the part if he wanted to get that, and, of course he wanted to get it. Because "people who don't go to interviews, don't get seen, and people who don't get seen, get forgotten", Chuck's words.