Ch.1 Lee Saunders

Lee's POV

My vision is blurry when I opened my eyes. I blinked twice to make sure that the painting on the ceiling that I am seeing right now is clouds and angels. It feels like I am in the Sistine chapel because the artwork is outstanding. I tried to speak but I choked because I didn't notice that I'm wearing ventilator support.

The last thing that I can remember is that I had an argument with Hero, then he left. That's when my lungs decided to stop functioning. Funny as it may seem but some parts of my body have the capacity to be like that.

"I'm sorry to say but she needs to leave school in the meantime because the continuous stress will not help her. It's best if she will just stay home" I heard the doctor say.

"She will recover right?" Mom asked with a broken voice.

"All I can tell you right now is that we are trying our best to delay the progress of it and reduce the severity," the doctor said apologetically before leaving the room.

"This will not happen if that Hero didn't leave her alone in the park!" Dad said angrily. "What kind of person would do that to a sick girl?! I don't want to see his face ever again!"

I was diagnosed with Guillain-Barré syndrome or GBS eight months ago. It's a serious health problem, an autoimmune disorder and due to this, my body's immune system attacks itself by mistake. It affects my breathing whenever the paralysis or weakness attacks and spreads to my muscles.

We previously lived in Sacramento, then we shifted here in Los Angeles because the hospital that I am in now is one of the few that focuses on treating people with GBS. At first, it seems like I am improving, but my condition started to worsen over time.

Basically, I'm a wallflower in my new school, and it is fine with me because I never liked the attention and I also have social anxiety. Everything changed when Hero Sinclair came into my life. He is my classmate, he's a pitcher on our school's baseball team and he's quite popular.

The majority of the girls in our school will do anything just to get his attention, and I'm part of the minority who doesn't give a fu**. I only pay attention to two things, the first is my studies, and the second is my cat. She is a grey-colored British shorthair and I named her Cat because I can't think of any name that will suit her better than that.

My tears fell upon remembering the first time that Hero talked to me.

We are paired up in our P.E subject by our teacher. Our current sport is badminton and he offered to teach me because he doesn't want to lose. He's very competitive when it comes to sports. My classmates are surprised when I turned down his offer and shyly informed him that I actually know how to play it. One of my classmates came to me afterwards and told me that I should've just pretended that I didn't know.

"But I don't need his help" I mumbled.

I've been playing badminton since elementary so I'm not surprised when we defeated all of our opponents. The badminton coach approached me after our class to ask if I want to be a varsity but I politely declined it because of my illness. It makes me sad that there's so much activity that I want to do but can't. If only I didn't get sick.

After that day, Hero became interested in me. He greets me every morning, finds a way to sit with me during lunch break, and the worst part is he also switched seats with my current seatmate. I find it annoying but I can't bring myself to say it because I don't want to offend him.

I became a bit popular after that, but not in a good way. Some of the students are passing by our class just to know what I look like, and some girls are putting hate letters inside my locker. Telling me that I am a choosy bitch, and nerd and that I don't deserve Hero's attention because I'm as plain and white as paper.