Chapter Nine. The Geese are Getting Fat.

Chapter Nine 

The Geese are Getting Fat 

Rev gently pushed down the sneck. The latch released and the door opened on to the cobbled path leading to Nan Dalton's back door. She was home. We could see the flickering gas light through the frayed living room curtains. 

We silently made our way down the pitch-black yard taking care to avoid the clothes pole that had fallen in our path and the ancient mangle standing under the kitchen window. We managed to reach the door undetected.  

"Now, P.C." 

On cue P.C., who had recently been recruited into the church choir, broke into a fine rendition of what he thought was "Wild shepherds watched their flocks by night." Rev and I didn't join in. Rev because he had a voice that only a mother could love, and I only really knew "Adeste Fiddles."  

After the carol ended, Rev nudged me. 

"Your turn now." 

I had rehearsed with Uncle Steve, and was word perfect. 

"Christmas is coming. The geese are getting fat. Please put a penny in the old man's hat. If you haven't got a penny, a ha'penny will do. If you haven't got a ha'penny, God bless you." 

Rev then knocked on the door and we waited, me with cap in hand. Nothing happened, no sound, no movement except for a slight fluttering of the curtains. 

"Do you think she heard us? Maybe we should try again, P.C., but a bit louder this time." 

"Alright, Rev, but I told you this wasn't the best way to go about it." 

Once more P.C. burst into song giving his highly personalized version of "Good King Went at last" full throttle. My mantra followed but the result was the same- no response.  

We retreated to the back street for a re-evaluation of strategy. 

"I don't understand. It worked so well last time." 

"Of course it worked well, Henry. That was at your grandma's and she knew we were coming." 

"Look you two. I've got an idea," interrupted P.C.. "I went out with the church choir earlier this week, and we didn't just walk up to any old door and start singing." 

"What did you do then?" asked Rev. 

"Well the vicar knocked at the door, and if someone answered he asked whether they would like the choir to sing some carols. It saved a lot of breath. I think we should do the same."  

"It sounds fine with me," I said. "It will also give you something to do, Rev." 

Rev replied with a "humph!" 

Our next target was the Dixon's. With no attempt at stealth, we marched up to the back door and Rev rapped loudly. Mrs. Dixon answered quickly. 

"Good evening, Mrs. Dixon." Rev could be a charmer when he wanted to be. "We were wondering if you would like to hear a Christmas carol?" 

"That really would be nice boys, but it's a bit inconvenient at the moment. You see I've just put the baby to bed, and it might disturb her. Maybe you could come some other time." 

"But it's Christmas Eve tomorrow and I don't think we'll be allowed out." 

"Of course how silly of me, Rev. Hold on a minute I'll just go and get my purse. How many of you are there." 

"Three," I replied. 

Mrs. Dixon soon returned, dropped a threepenny bit into my proffered cap, and wished us all a very merry Christmas. We responded in kind, and then made a rather hasty, graceless exit up the yard.