Chapter 24

The next morning, I had just finished brushing my teeth when there came a knock on my door. I opened it to find Dennis.

"Hey," he said. "Have you seen Jarred?"

I shook my head and held the door open wider so he could come inside. I watched, a little amused as he inspected the place, before going over to the window to check out my view. Apparently he was impressed, nodding once and letting the curtains fall back.

"Tyler's been missing for twenty-four hours." Dennis informed me, watching with interest as I combed through my hair with my fingers. "And Jarred's room hasn't been slept in."

I sighed, leaning my back against the door. "He's done a runner too?"

After management apologised for the drama, Reid upgraded the Price family to the swankiest hotel in Manhattan and Jarred was able to convince them not to press charges. The whole spectacle ended as quickly as it began but come dinner-time, Kayley and I were the only ones down to socialise while the others remained holed up in their suites.

Dennis tilted his head, dark hair falling over his eyes. "You okay?"

"Just tired." I joined him by the window and peeked out at the morning traffic below. "And worried about Tyler. Don't tell him I said that."

The drama from the past twenty-four hours had been exhausting and when I turned to Dennis, he held my gaze. Then he smiled, kind as he always was and it might've been my imagination but his eyes, a hazy storm blue, dropped to my lips for the briefest moment.

In the heat of the moment, I closed the distance between us and kissed him.

His hands automatically snaked around my waist and mine tangled in his hair, drawing him closer. He lifted me up easily, the soft fabric of his shirt bunching in my other hand as my back hit the bed. I wasn't sure how we moved so quickly or how we moved at all but when we finally came up for air, he paused to rest his forehead against mine.

"What's wrong?" I asked, my heart sinking.

This was Dennis, who was quiet and reserved - steady like a candle flame. He wasn't brash and temperamental the way Reid was, burning with smoke and ashes and bringing destruction to everything around him. This was Dennis - and I'd gotten it all wrong.

"Lex." Dennis's voice was low, deeper than usual. "I'm sorry."

I flinched away and rolled out from under him, moving to the edge of the bed where there was a fair distance between us. My cheeks burned but I couldn't bring myself to be angry at this rejection, especially as I could feel Dennis' obvious guilt.

"I'm sorry," he repeated quietly. "I don't want to be that guy."

I closed my eyes, wanting the ground to just swallow me whole. "What guy, Dennis?"

"The guy that you settle for when you're trying to work things out." The bed dipped as he moved a little closer. "The benchwarmer, Lex, while you wait for someone else."

There was a pause and I imagined him running his hands over his face, trying to find a better way to explain this. Patient, as he always was. "I'm sorry. But I deserve better than that."

I wanted to demand why he asked me to Homecoming and why he had kissed me back moments earlier but the words died in my throat. Angry and confused, the sound of voices outside my door thankfully saved me from responding.

"...I was worried sick! What's wrong with you?"

"I'm fine – I'm back now, okay?"

Dennis went to investigate and after I had recovered from my humiliation, I joined him in the corridor. At the same time, a bleary-eyed Kayley had appeared in the doorway across from mine. But before she could say anything, a tired voice came from inside her suite.