Chapter 31

I managed to stop feeling sorry for myself by the time Friday rolled around and maintenance men from all of Union Management properties started to arrive. I hadn't seen Nick all week but between hiding in my office and coordinating today's events, there wouldn't have been much opportunity. I was thankful for that.

"Good Morning ladies." I approached the front desk and my mood was cheerful.

"Good Morning. You want some coffee?" Natalie stammered her words. She gazed at me intently. 

"Is something wrong? You seem a little anxious."

Natalie sighed and said, "Okay, please don't freak out when I tell you this."

"What's going on?" I peered at Sabrina and Melanie who had yet to speak up.

"Nick turned in his apartment keys." Natalie spoke fast and winced.

"So he moved his office?" My voice was thick.

"I guess. We had a few move outs yesterday and quite a few people coming and going. I guess I didn't realize some of the items being taken out was his. I never actually saw him, but his keys were in the drop box this morning."

"Okay.Well, it is what it is."

"That's it? I mean, are you okay?"

"I'm fine. He moved his office. We aren't together so what he does  no longer concerns me. I have to focus on today and help Caleb with this meeting."

I walked towards my office trying to act tough and hold back the tears. I was confused and hurt. We had split up before but his moving out made it feel real and permanent.

Shortly after diving into my day's work, Caleb called me to meet him in the conference room.

"Good Morning. How is the set up coming?" I yelled to Caleb who was spastically running around the room, organizing the seats.

Out of breath he said, "It's going okay. Everyone should be arriving soon, and I am just trying to make sure they all have a seat. Don't forget the meeting is at three o'clock."

With a reassuring look I said, "I know. You did a great job." I smiled and nodded with approval. I continued, "So who is the lucky man I get to sit next to?"

I walked around the table, looking at the booklets that had all the maintenance men's names on them. When I found my name and who was seated beside me, my heart dropped.

"Hey Caleb, do you think we could move me to the other side of the table?" I was trying to act nonchalant but on the inside my heart was racing.

"What? Why? I have you seated next to me and your old maintenance supervisor. I figured you wouldn't want to sit around anyone you didn't know. Plus, I have the seats arranged so the guys can at least be near their own teams." Caleb seemed annoyed at my request.

"No, that is fine then. I was just wondering. You're sitting in front of me and I am short so I just wanted to make sure I could see over you." I shrugged, trying to not sound like a complete lunatic.

 "I won't be sitting much so no worries there. I am helping the vendor with his presentation. See, so it's all good."

I looked away and rolled my eyes so Caleb couldn't see. "Yes, I guess it is." My tone was sarcastic.

Caleb had no idea why I didn't want to sit next to Sam, and I was not going to share. My anxiety was through the roof and I needed some fresh air before I had to face him again.

I sat at the picnic table by the pool and reflected on how anxious men made me feel. Well, maybe not every man but certainly the ones I was dealing with this week. Nick wrecked me in more ways than one and Sam had done the same. They were completely different people, but both made me feel out of control.