HelGa: I Thought You Needed To Chill

Helga's P.O.V.

"Helga! I made you a milkshake!" My mom called from downstairs. I made my way down the stairs, tugging on my shoes and nearly breaking my neck in the process. When I get to the kitchen I see Olga and my mother sitting at the table with wedding planning material spread out all around them.

"Oh no, don't tell you've changed the whole wedding theme and now we have to start from scratch." I tease my sister. I grab my milkshake from the counter and begin slurping it down.

"Haha very funny Helga." My sister replied without looking up from the seating chart spread.

"Be nice to your sister Helga. It's a stressful time for all of us." She takes a sip of her coffee and glances in my direction. "You're dressed." she states.

I wince and rub my head. Definitely feel a brain freeze coming on. "Excellent observation mom, you should be a detective." I say around a mouthful of milkshake.

"I don't know why I even bother with coffee," she tells my sister, "Her sarcasm is bitter enough, don't you think?" I snort and mix my straw in my milkshake. "Are you going somewhere?"

"Maybe." I say cryptically.

"Mind telling me where."

"Just a friends house to do some homework, yawn." I sigh.

"Phoebe's?"

"No my friend, Paul." I dig through the silverware drawer for a spoon to try and catch the last bit of milkshake at the bottom.

"Paul? I've never heard about him before. Is this a study date?" Her eyes narrow, whether in suspicion or confusion I'm not sure.

I slam my cup on the counter and groan. "No mother it's not a study date!"

My sister scoffs, "Oh it's totally a study date."

"Helga," my mother begins, "I think we should-"

"Sorry, can't. I'm already late, I'll see you later." I call as I rush out and away from a sure to be awkward situation. I make sure to grab my book bag and a coat before I head off to the bus station.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I ring the buzzer to Paul's apartment floor which is located in a very nice modern building in a nice part of town. I rub my hands together to get some heat. It's finally getting cold. All of a sudden the intercom gives a faint pop and then a little boy speaks, "Hello?"

"Uh, hi. I'm uh, looking for Paul. I'm Helga and we're suppose to do homework today."

"Okay, hold on." The intercom pops again and then there is the sound the gate makes when it unlocks itself allowing me to quickly let myself in. Directly ahead is an elevator and I push the up button before surveying my surroundings. The room I'm in is empty and kind of resembles a sterile hotel waiting room or something like that. The elevator dings behind me and the doors slide open to reveal Paul.

"Helga!"

"Hi Paul." We both move forward then stop and kind of shuffle around each other awkwardly. I chuckle out an apology and he does the same and I'm standing in the threshold of the doors when they begin to close.

"Oh, watch out." He says when he pulls me into the elevator and closer to him.

I clear my throat nervously, "Hi." I say again, stupidly.

He laughs and looks down at our hands, which are still loosely linked together, before looking back at me. "You already said that."

"Oh yeah. Right." I step away and stand next to him facing the doors in silence. When they open, the same little boy who I assume talked to me on the intercom is standing in a little apron smeared in something that looks unsavory.