16

She pressed the 14th button and waited anxiously. She felt like she would die right there on the spot!

The elevator never stopped but was still too painfully slow. She knew what waited for her in room 47, she didn't know if she could handle it. She wanted to hate him with every fiber of her being like everyone expected. But not really. Most of her felt fucking terrified, a decent part did hate him, but the smallest bit... was something else. Something she couldn't name herself. she didn't want to tell anyone, they'd probably get some therapist to annoy her.

The doors screeched open. This floor felt colder than the rest. the hall, an icebox. She fiddled with the key card as she slowly read the room numbers. 

She found it and stopped in front of the door. light flooded through the bottom. She wondered what would have happened rather than used the key, someone was inside.

She swiped the card. the lock light flashed green and the lock audibly clicked. no turning back now. Everything felt like it was underwater, the handle turned so slowly, the light from the room flooded into the hall so slowly, and she walked in the room...so...very...slowly...

There he was, as familiar as a dream. He didn't wear some pricy suit he looked almost drunk. His grey shirt stained and worn, his face pickily looking. He looked a mess.

He grinned, "Good (Y/n), your here. I was worried you'd never show up."

"What do you want," she demanded as bravely as she could muster. 

"How was the date?"

"Fine," she said sternly.

"Getting stood up is fine?"

"I wasn't stood up. How did you-"

"I didn't like him," Jim sounded threatening, " I didn't like him, he liked you too much."

She held in a choke, "You killed him???"

"What else would you expect, you're my Grace."

"I-I'm sorry?"

"Haven't you already forgotten the book I bought for you?"

"That-"

"Do you remember what I told you?"

She stayed quiet.

He sighed, frustrated, "I told you that, I will Re-arrange the sky for you, (Y/n). You are my saving grace, you know why? You are the only one left who has fascinated me."

Se remembered those words now. That seemed so long ago.

"She is the light at the end of my tunnel, now I am midway. she is so close I can see the stunning features of her fair face. The soft smile lines under her caring eyes. For her, I'll give her everything, I will teach her anything she wants to know, I will pull down the heavens for her so she could touch a soft cloud. for her, I promise I'll do better."

He was quoting the book now.

"I-" She groaned, "No, you are trying to get into my head. Now tell me what do you want."

"Under any other circumstance, I'd say, you."

"being a flirt won't get you anywhere."

he laughed, "right, I wanted to say goodbye."

"I don't understand."

"I wouldn't expect you to," he took a step forward and she took two back.

"So goodbye? youre going to leave me alone," she guessed a bit too hopeful. 

"For a while, a long while."

"I don't understand the point of this."

He groaned, he was getting mad she could tell but he was keeping it under control, "You see that gift bag there on the desk, beside you?"

She turned to see a small navy blue gift bag.

"Take it with you, but don't open it till you are home."

she was hesitant for a moment but still took it.

"You can go now if you like," he sounded nearly sad.

She was halfway ut the door when she gave him one last look and said, "Goodbye, Jim."

She shut the door and left for the elevator. She found herself still not at ease but believing the consulting criminal.