Chapter Seventeen

"We have a week and a half."

"What?!" I cried and stared at the brunette in front of me.

Angelina sighed and repeated herself, her hands on her hips. "We have a week and a half until the attack and to help Tris and Uriah."

She had just arrived back from a late night meeting at Erudite, and instead of joining the rest of the leaders on a trip to the bar, she'd headed straight up to inform me at home, where I'd been looking after Ebonie.

"Why so close?"

"The serum is finished. She's got the programmes together. The software in the studio downstairs is all prepared. She wants us to inject Dauntless with the serum, tell them that it's a tracking device in case anything bad happens to them. She's currently having the tools we'll need manufactured."

I let out a loud puff of breath. "Shit... What are we gonna do?"

"I need to speak to the people I know. See if they can help us... but it could take days." Angelina swallowed and looked at me. "We can't stop this yet, but we can postpone it."

"How?"

"Break the equipment downstairs... do something to give us a few extra days."

"How are we going to do that? Jeanine and Max are the only ones with entry."

"And the technicians."

"Like an Erudite technician is gonna let me in."

"Jac, you're a leader now."

"So are you?"

"We'll do it together, then!" She cried, rolling her eyes. "When's Talulah home?"

"In two days."

"We'll go then. Wednesday night. The Erudite work around the clock."

"Time?"

"Nine. Come to mine. Tell Eric we're going on a girls night. I'll tell Jay the same."

I nodded. "Okay."

"We can't mess this up, Jac."

"I know. I know we can't."

She stared at me for a moment, before crossing the room and pulling me into her arms. She held me tightly as I wrapped my arms around her and hugged her back.

"Thank you for helping me." She spoke quietly. "I don't think I would've been able to do this on my own now that Harrison's gone."

"It's okay." I replied softly.

"I knew I could trust you, right from the start I just knew." She told me. "You're a clever girl. You're exactly who I needed. I'm so glad that you caught Eric's eye."

I nodded a little and turned my head to press a kiss to her cheek.

She smiled softly, reaching up and tousling my hair a little.

~

Talulah returned at midday on Wednesday. I waited beside the train track with Ebonie, excited to finally see my best friend again and reunite her with her child.

After the train had slowed to a stop, crowds of Dauntless members emerged from within it, and it took a moment for me to spot Talulah. Eventually, my eyes found her, walking towards us quickly, a huge grin on her lips.

"I've missed you guys so much!!!" She cried as she approached, before throwing her arms around us.

"We missed you too!" I replied, smiling widely.