Chapter Twenty-One.

By 6AM, two Erudite guards had arrived to pick me up in a car, which I assumed had been sent by Jeanine. I had sent the guards on ahead, so that I could collect Ebonie from the place that she had finally settled, hoping that if I took my time, she wouldn't wake.

That had worked out brilliantly, until I reached the hallway that led to the stairs that took me to the exit.

"Freeze."

It was Tris. And I almost sighed with relief that she was here, alive.. before I did as I was told, because believe or not, the tone of her voice was enough to make me fear for the life of the child in my arms.

"If you move, I will shoot you." She stated, and for some reason, I didn't doubt her.

"Tris..." I started, trying to keep my voice firm and steady. "I'm not going to try and fight you right now."

"Shut up." Tris ordered quickly, and I pursed my lips, sighing quietly. "Did you know?"

"What was going to happen?" I questioned, before nodding my head slowly. "Yes, but I-"

"-Tell me why I shouldn't just kill you here and now." She cut me off.

I was quiet for a moment, trying to think of the easiest answer, and in that short moment of silence, I began to hear the sound of hurried footsteps. More than just one pair of feet, for sure.

"Beatrice!" An unfamiliar voice called breathlessly, and a frown furrowed my brows. "Oh.."

The footsteps slowed to a stop as the person paused, behind Tris, I assumed. The rest of the hurried footsteps continued, growing louder.

"Answer me, Jac." Tris demanded, and I swallowed slowly.

"Besides the fact that I have a child in my arms?"

The sound of Tris' gun clicking into place as she reloaded it instantly made me regret that answer. My heart began to pound in my chest, thumping in my head as I began to panic, tightening my grip on Ebonie - which then disturbed the small infant.

"Come on, Caleb! We need to keep moving!" Four's voice echoed throughout the hallway, the footsteps louder, before they suddenly stopped. At this moment, Ebonie let out a shrill cry. "Tris, no!"

I snapped my head around to look at the group of people behind me, just in time to see Four jumping in front of Tris, pushing her gun down to face the floor.

"She's a leader, Four! She knew about this!!"

"I know, just stop." He ordered. "You can't kill Jac."

"What do you mean, 'you know'?" Tris questioned, a frown forming on her features.

"It's a lot to explain, I don't have the time right now, but I'm not going to let you shoot her."

I turned my body to face them, rocking Ebonie in my arms carefully, the relief of Four being here washing over me.

"Beatrice, she has a child with her... There's no need to shoot." Marcus, the Abnegation leader spoke from the back of the group. What was he doing here?

"Shut up, Marcus." Four snapped, to which my eyes widened. "Stay out of this."

"G-guys, we don't have much time!" The lanky boy, dressed in blue, spoke from just behind Tris and she growled in frustration.

"I'll explain, I promise, Tris. But you can't kill her." Four turned and walked towards me, gripping my upper arms gently. "This is what you meant the other night, wasn't it?"

I nodded my head quickly, struggling to find my voice.

"You and Angelina were going against it, weren't you? You killed that Erudite to mess up the system in the lab, didn't you?"